Originally built in about 1620 and rebuilt in brick in the early 1700s. In the early 1800s it was known as the 'Queen's Head' and owned by Benjamin Harrington (jnr) and his wife Susanna who sold it for £70 to Robert Thompson who changed its name to the 'Red Lyon'.
James Martin takes over the inn in
October this year from Mrs Wiggs,
a widow. James was previously landlord of The Two
other ventures, James diversifies by running a 'wain'
(a basic open carriage) service to and from Norwich.
He gives this up in 1826 when Henry Foyster
takes it over. However James continues to run the
Red Lion for many years.(M) He and his wife, Lydia, have 10 children. In 1831, his daughter,
Harriett, marries Rd Rufus Boniwell
who will later take over the Southwold
James Martin - Inn keeper. James's eldest daughter, Martha, married James Woodard in 1829 and the couple take over 'The Pilot Boat' Inn (No 8 East Street) in the early 1840s (W1844)
25-year-old daughter, Lydia
Martin marries James Oldring,
the butcher in the Market
Place. (M and NA)
James Martin dies and his wife, also
named Lydia, takes over as Inn Keeper.
Mrs Lydia Martin continues to run
the inn. Maggs describes it as "Mrs Martin's
Red Lion". (M)
James Hague Aungier of Ipswich buys
the Red Lion and hires it first to Daniel
Betts Osborne (the butcher/fishmonger at
No 5 East Street) and later re-sells it to James
Jillings (M). James has previously owned
the White Horse at
No 19 High Street as well as the adjacent property at No
21 High Street.
George Tharmes succeeds as landlord
(M) but in ...
James Jillings is back! (M) But not
Wm. Harrison - "buys it &
keeps it" reports Maggs. ('Keep' as in 'inn-keeper',
ie he runs it himself.)
Walter Harrison - Victualler (W 1874)
Note: There is a discrepancy beween Maggs and Whites
as to Mr Harrison's first name - William or Walter?
William Waters (K1896)