building is no longer a pub. Until 2013 it was used as accommodation
for Adnams' Hotel staff but has since been converted into retail units. James Maggs records that
it was known as the 'Green Man' until 1803 when its
sign was changed to the 'Joiners Arms'. In 1839 it
was changed again - to the 'Southwold Arms' by the
then landlord, Jonathan Button. In its time, the pub
had innumerable owners and landlords.
Jonathan Button (M)
Charles A Everrett (M)
Alfred John William Wentworth - takes
over the pub from Charles Everrett on 19th March (M).
Alfred's great-great granddaughter, Shirley
Wentworth, tells us that he was originally from Lambourn
in Berkshire, later moving to Dunwich where he married
local girl, Sarah Butcher in 1849
before moving to Southwold. As well as managing the
pub, Alfred and Sarah also ran a lodging house across
the road at No 48 High Street. They had ten children.
Rd Rufus Boniwell -
Maggs records that in 1831, Rufus had married Harriett
Martin, fourth daughter of James
Martin, landlord of the Red
James Jillings - Inn Keeper. James
lives here with his wife, Charlotte and his son, Thomas
(C1861). A few years later he will take over the Red
Major Sidney - Owner of Southwold
Robert MacKenzie - (Post Office Directory,
BSD). Robert Mackenzie is a hugely popular Scottish
landlord, eccentric, fun-loving, charismatic yet puritanical.
Read an account of
his tenure by Barrett Jenkins in his book 'Bygones
and Local Characters of Southwold'. (Reproduced by
kind permission of BJ's daughter, Ann Thornton.)