Explore our dynamic panoramas




No 5 East Street
 

 

1860
Daniel Betts Osborne - establishes the shop as a "Pork Butcher and Fish Merchant". Later advertisements carry the line "Established 1860".

1874
Daniel Betts Osborne - Pork Butcher & Fish Merchant (W 1874). Daniel is married to Charlotte (nee Waters). The Waters are a family of Trinity Pilots.

Note: In about 1869, the Osborne family take in a lodger, a 23-year-old Inland Revenue officer from Somerset by the name of William Adin Dunton who has been posted to Southwold. Here he makes the acquaintance of Charlotte's sister, Emma Waters, and marries her. They have five sons: Ernest William (b1874), Sidney John who is destined to inherit the shop in 1922, Donald who will one day manage the Red Lion at No 2 South Green, Ernest William, and Charles Hubert and three daughters: Lottie, Winifred and Norah.


1900
Daniel Betts Osborne dies this year aged 60 (St Edmunds' Churchyard). His widow, Charlotte, inherits the house and the business which continues trading as 'D B Osborne'.

1908
Charlotte Osborne - Trading as 'D B Osborne' and described as "Fishmonger" (K 1908) although the shop is also selling meat and poultry in 1915. See advertisement.


 

Charlotte Osborne - Trading as 'D B Osborne'. (K 1916)

 

1922
Charlotte Osborne dies this year. Daniel and Charlotte had no children so the house and business are inherited by Charlotte's nephew, Sidney John Dunton, who has been living in the Osborne home for some years. The shop continues to trade as 'D B Osborne'.(SPM 1923).

1924
Sidney John Dunton - "Late D Osborne" - Fishmonger (SPM 1924).

Sidney is married to Jessie (nee Moore).His brother, Donald, marries Vivette Docwra, widow of Thomas Docwra of The Red Lion Inn at No 2 South Green. Neither brother has children.


 

Sidney John Dunton - fishmonger

1946
Sidney John Dunton - fishmonger, this year sells the freehold and the business to his assistant, Walter Cook and his wife, Phyllis, for about £4,500. Walter raises the capital as a private loan from Phyllis's employer, Ellis Hill of Aldeburgh. Walter and Phyllis initially live in the flat above the shop.

Sidney Dunton, meanwhile, settles down to retirement at the the property next door at No 7 East Street (Gordon House) which he has owned for some years. He dies in 1958.


 

1956
Walter & Phyllis Cook - 'W S Cook, Fishmonger'. This year. Walter and Phyllis additionally acquire the lease of the Victoria Hotel across the street (No 8 East Street). They move into the flat above the pub, leaving the residence above the Fish shop empty until...

1958
Richard Cook - Walter and Phyllis's son, leaves the RAF this year and, with his new bride, Helen, begins to take over the family business, now called 'W S Cook & Son', with Walter and Phyllis continuing to play an active part as well as running the pub. The smoke house for the shop is, in fact, located in the back yard of The Victoria.

Meanwhile Helen sets up and runs a small bed-and-breakfast business from the top-floor flat above the shop. She and Richard have three children: Nigel, David and Jenny

 

1967
Walter Cook is incapacitated by a stroke
but the fish shop continues under the 'W S Cook & Son' name, run by Richard and his mother Phyllis.


 

1973
Walter Cook dies this year but the 'W S Cook & Son' business continues under Richard and his mother for the remainder of this decade.


 

1980
(Name) Huckle - purchases the business from Richard Cook and employs
Patrick Samkin to run it. His wife Pauline Samkin takes over the greengrocery shop at No 21 Market Place at about the same time. (LM)

Peter Parke recalls "One of the reasons Pat was in the fish business was that his brother, Des, bought the fishing boat 'Alpha', which Pat used to work with Roy Partridge and Mike Carpenter who latterly was landlord of the Anchor in Walberswick. The Alpha was sold away back to Essex and then turned up again in Southwold in the early 1990's in the ownership of Dick Baldwin from Essex, and is the large black vessel now being repaired in the square."

1983
John Huggins - 'John's Fish Shop'.


 

John Huggins - 'John's Fish Shop'.

Basement was first an antiques shop, then a bath products shop, 'Bathtime Heaven' at about this time.

1998
Serena Hall - Artist, opens her first art gallery in the basement before moving to No 16 Queen Street in 2000. (LM).


 
 

Linda Seaman - Artist, uses the basement as her studio and gallery for a few years.

2008
John Huggins - 'John's Fish Shop'. This year, Southwold's sole remaining wet fish shop closes with the retirement of John Huggins.


Joules Clothes Shop

We are indebted to Anne Dewar (Nee Dunton) for much of the information on the Osborne and Dunton families, and to Richard, Helen and Jenny Cook for information about their family's ownership of the property.

   

Do you have any memories or records about this address? Can you correct any of our information or fill in any of our blanks? If so, please email Barry Tolfree
or comment right here in our Forum. See below. ***

SOURCES:
BSD - Bernard Segrave-Daly
BCS = Bygones & Characters of Southwold by Barrett Jenkins
C = Census
CP = Cinema Programme 1958
CSP = Coronation Souvenir Programme 1953
G = Gales Trade Directory
GRO = General Register Office
K = Kelly's Directory
LM = Local memory
M = James Maggs' Southwold Diary 1818-1876
MCG = Methodist Church Guide 1930
NA = National Archives
PP = Pantomime Programme 1933
PLR = Petrol Licence Records

POD = Post Office Directory
PPP = Pier Pavilion Programme 1924, 1926
RCE = Rotary Club Exhibition 1969
SCM = Southwold Catholic Magazine 1923
SCTG = Southwold Corporation Tourist Guide
SER = Southwold Electoral Register
SFP = Southwold Scouts Fete Programme 1947
SG = Southwold Guide
SGCH = Southwold Golf Club Handbook
SLHR = Southwold Local History Recorder 1980s 1990s (Mrs R. McDermot)
SMHS = Southwold Museum & Historical Society

SN = Southwold & Neighbourhood 1903
SPM = Southwold Parish Magazine 1895 -1954
SR = Southwold Recorder 1927, 1932, 1934, 1935
SRB = Southwold Rate Book
SRT = Southwold Railway Timetable 1915
SSAS = Southwold Sea Angling Society Handbook 1909
SST = Southwold Summer Theatre Programmes
SSW = Southwold Shopping Week Programme, June/July 1922
STG = Southwold Town Guide 1930
SVL = Southwold Visitors List 1907, 1930
SVCP = Southwold Victory Celebration Programme 1946
SWCG = Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide

TTR = 'The Town Revisited' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 2000
TTT = ''To The Town' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 1988
W = White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Suffolk 1874

 
Note on dates
Unless otherwise stated, dates given do not indicate the years in which the business started or finished but those for which there is firm evidence that it was trading at this address. Sources in brackets; key at bottom of page.

 

No 5 today

Advertisement for DB Osborne in 1907. Click the image to enlarge

1915 Advertisement

Charlotte Osborne's business card
Reproduced courtesy of Southwold Museum

Sidney Dunton

Sidney Dunton photographed probably in the 1920s.

1936 advertisement in Southwold Visitors List.

Courtesy of Margaret Turnbull

The Dunton Brothers

Three surviving Dunton brothers in the 1950s. Left to right: Edward Cecil, Sidney John and Charles Hubert. Donald had died in 1941.

We are grateful to Anne Dewar, grandaughter of Edward Cecil for providing both the above family photos.

Click either photo to enlarge

W S Cook & Son in the 1960s

W S Cook & Son in the 1960s

Click the picture to enlarge

Walter Cook 1960

Walter Cook in the shop doorway in 1960

Click the picture to enlarge



Richard Cook at the open display window of his shop in about 1960. The shop had a reputation throughout East Suffolk for the quality of its lobsters and crabs.

Click the picture to enlarge

Three Generations of Cooks

Unloading the ice: three generations of Cooks - Walter, Richard and Nigel

Richard, Helen and Nigel Cook 1961

Richard and Helen Cook and their firstborn son Nigel pictured in the shared courtyard behind the shop.
Click the picture to enlarge

With thanks to Richard and Helen Cook for allowing us to reproduce these five photos.

Label dating from the 1990s.
With thanks to Harry Griggs