Explore our dynamic panoramas




No 23 Market Place - Butcher's Shop
 


 

This shop and No 21 next door, together with the town gaol and the shambles (slaughter house) behind, were demolished and rebuilt in 1819 by the Southwold Corporation which owned them. The project involved heavy borrowing and was not universally popular in the town.

1837,
James Oldring - Butcher. Maggs records that, in 1837, James pays the town an annual rent of £5 plus a further charge of £6 for the right to kill and take rabbits on the Common. In 1842 James marries 25 year-old Lydia Martin, the daughter of James Martin, landlord of the Red Lion at No 2 South Green. They have a son whom they name James Martin Oldring. Sadly, 5 years later, aged just 34, James Martin dies. His 30 year-old widow, Lydia, takes over the shop. (M)

Note: Between 1855 and 1856 the butcher's shop acquires a temporary licence to sell alcohol. The 'Pilot Boat' inn round the corner in East Street is being demolished and rebuilt as 'The Victoria'. It's landlord, James Woodard, is married to Lydia Martin's older sister, Martha, so this is no doubt a family favour.

1874
Lydia Oldring - Butcher (W)

Date
James Martin Oldring

1895,1896
W Wallace Warren - Butcher and Game Dealer (SPM 1895,K1896) The notice outside the shop says James Warren



1908
Charles H Boggis - Butcher and Farmer (K1908)

 
1916
Charles H Boggis - Butcher and Farmer (K1916)
 

1924
William James Blowers - 'W J Blowers' Family Butcher (K1924). 'Billy' Blowers has moved from managing Fryett's Butchers at No 71 High Street which is now owned by Thomas Denny. William lives at No 10 Salisbury Road where he also conducts a horse and trap hire business.

Victor Thomas James Blowers - Ladies and Gents Tailor (PPP1924), This is Billy's son who is presumably allocated space in the upper floor 'apartment'. (Source: A J Blowers)

1927
Seppings - Butcher (Source / first name)

1929
Charles P Norman - Butcher



 

Charles P Norman - Butcher

Charles P Norman - Butcher

 

1954
Charles P Norman retires and puts the business on the market. It is bought by...

K E Hutson who already owns and runs an established butcher's shop in Kessingland. He appoints Ronnie Waters as his Manager. The shop continues to trade under the name of 'C P Norman'.

July 1954 is noteworthy as the date that wartime meat rationing finally comes to an end. (LM)



K E Hutson - Butcher, trading as C P Norman

 

1970
K E Hutson - Butcher, trading as C P Norman. This year, under Ronnie Waters' management, the shop is in expansive mood. It introduces a cooked meat and delicatessen counter. Shortly afterwards, K E Hutson leases (and later purchases) the existing Baggott's butcher's shop at No 9 Trinity Street which it uses principally as a meat preparation area. (LM)


 
1988
John Hutson - Son of K E Hutson takes over the butcher's shop. Ronnie Waters retires after 34 years and, in due course, his assistant, Colin Hicks, becomes manager.

 

1994
John Hutson - Butcher. This year the business adds a bread bakery to its range of services. In 1996, when Marshall's bakery at No 35 High Street closes, Hutson's is bequeathed the secret recipe for the renowned 'Southwold Butter Bun' which is still available on three days a week. (LM)


 
 

2002
Cleeve Hutson - Son of John Hutson, Butcher, Delicatessen and Baker

2009
Colin Hicks retires as manager after 20 years.

2013
Charles Mills - purchases the business in October this year from Cleeve Hutson. He is partnered by his sons, Henry and George. The trading name of the business becomes 'Mills & Sons'.

   

Do you have any memories or records about this address? Can you correct any of our information or fill in any of our blanks? If so, please email Barry Tolfree
or comment right here in our Forum. See below. ***

SOURCES:
BSD - Bernard Segrave-Daly
BCS = Bygones & Characters of Southwold by Barrett Jenkins
C = Census
CP = Cinema Programme 1958
CSP = Coronation Souvenir Programme 1953
G = Gales Trade Directory
GRO = General Register Office
K = Kelly's Directory
LM = Local memory
M = James Maggs' Southwold Diary 1818-1876
MCG = Methodist Church Guide 1930
NA = National Archives
PP = Pantomime Programme 1933
PLR = Petrol Licence Records

POD = Post Office Directory
PPP = Pier Pavilion Programme 1924, 1926
RCE = Rotary Club Exhibition 1969
SCM = Southwold Catholic Magazine 1923
SCTG = Southwold Corporation Tourist Guide
SER = Southwold Electoral Register
SFP = Southwold Scouts Fete Programme 1947
SG = Southwold Guide
SGCH = Southwold Golf Club Handbook
SLHR = Southwold Local History Recorder 1980s 1990s (Mrs R. McDermot)
SMHS = Southwold Museum & Historical Society

SN = Southwold & Neighbourhood 1903
SPM = Southwold Parish Magazine 1895 -1954
SR = Southwold Recorder 1927, 1932, 1934, 1935
SRB = Southwold Rate Book
SRT = Southwold Railway Timetable 1915
SSAS = Southwold Sea Angling Society Handbook 1909
SST = Southwold Summer Theatre Programmes
SSW = Southwold Shopping Week Programme, June/July 1922
STG = Southwold Town Guide 1930
SVL = Southwold Visitors List 1907, 1930
SVCP = Southwold Victory Celebration Programme 1946
SWCG = Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide

TTR = 'The Town Revisited' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 2000
TTT = ''To The Town' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 1988
W = White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Suffolk 1874

 
Note on dates
Unless otherwise stated, dates given do not indicate the years in which the business started or finished but those for which there is firm evidence that it was trading at this address. Sources in brackets; key at bottom of page.



Hutson's the Butcher at N0 23. No 21 is on the right.


Sign outside No 23 featuring the names of all the incumbent butchers since 1684

Advertisement in Southwold Parish Magazine, April 1895

William J Blowers

William James Blowers.
Photo courtesy of Alan John Blowers

Mid 1920s advertisement in Southwold Town Guide

1930 advertisement in Southwold Magazine
Both above Images courtesy of Heather Osmer

1946 advert for C P Norman

1946 advertisement in the Souvenir programme for Southwold Victory Celebrations. "... wishes to thank all Patrons and hopes to give better service when things are more normal."
With thanks to David Wright for this image

Hutson's Butchers Shop mid 1980s

Staff of Hutsons in the mid 1980s.
L to R: Michael Button, Edgar Martin, Malcolm Palmer and, shortly to retire, manager Ronnie Waters.
Reproduced from 'To the Town' by kind permission of Stephen Wolfenden

Click the picture to enlarge