now residential property, known as 'White Horse Cottage'
was built by William Downing in 1792
and bought for £180 by William Gooch.,
in its early life, was a public house, 'The White
Sold to William Smith and John
Bye. The latter also acquired the premises
next door (No
21 High Street) in 1802
William Smith and his wife
Elizabeth are recorded as owners.
James Gillings - Beer House Keeper,
'The White Horse'.
Note: We suspect that although James Maggs spells
the name 'Gillings', this is the same person as James
Jillings whose name appears on the title
deeds of the premises next door (No
21 High Street) in 1856. James Jillings is known
to be a publican; he will buy the Red Lion (No
2 South Green) in 1863. (Requires
Henry Sayer succeeds James
Gillings as Licensee. Gillings takes over
the Bear Inn at Reydon (M)
Charles Newby -
Coal merchant and beer retailer. His wife, Harriet describes herself as 'Landlady'. On census night 1881 her lodgers consisted of several hawkers and labourers.(C1861 - C1881)
The White Horse becomes an Adnams house. It appears
that the pub gains an undesirable reputation, being
frequented by 'Gentlemen of the road, tramps, German
bands and bear tamers'. Its licence is withdrawn.