Explore our dynamic panoramas




No 11 Trinity Street
 
 



1908
Thomas Phillips - Cycle Dealer (K1908)

 
1916
Alfred George Baggott - Butcher (K1916). Alfred George's son, Frederick was born in 1900 and, in his teens, during the Great War, becomes a trainee pilot with the Royal Flying Corps, later serving with the RAF. (Source: P G Parke, the maternal great Grandson of A G Baggott)

 
1924
Alfred George Baggott - Butcher (PPP1924).

Alfred becomes a pillar of Southwold Society. He is an Alderman and Mayor and later, his name will be inscribed on the 1948 foundation stone of the Scout Hall on Mights Road. He has many interests and becomes an early enthusiast of wireless technology, buying his equipment from W S Denny of No 2 Market Place. (Source: P G Parke, the maternal great Grandson of A G Baggott)

 

1933
Alfred George Baggott - Butcher. At approximately this date the Baggott business moves to larger premises next door at No 9 although the family continue to own No 11 and use it as their business address. At this date Alfred's son, Fred (Buffy) Baggott begins to take over the running of the business. (Source: P G Parke, Fred's grandson.)

1933
Lancelot Rouse - Confectioner, lets the shop from the Baggotts

1937
Doreen Bessie Baggott - Confectioner. Doreen (nee English) is the wife of Fred Baggott who is now trading as a butcher next door at No 9. During the Depression, she decides to set up in business on her own account, making and selling sweets in the old family butchers premises here at No 11.. (Source: P G Parke, her Grandson)

1947
Arthur J Cragie - Watchmaker and Jeweller. Arthur has moved his business here from No 24 Victoria Street, renting No 11 from the Baggotts next door. His previous workshop sustained serious bomb damage during the war.

Note: Arthur's son, John Cragie, marries literally 'the girl next door' Doreen Baggott jnr, the younger daughter of Fred and Doreen Bessie Baggott. John is today best known as a founder of the Alfred Corry CharitableTrust (Source: P G Parke & Capt. John Cragie)

 

1953
Arthur J Cragie - Watchmaker and Jeweller (CSP)

 

 

1971
Tom Pascall buys the premises from the Baggott estate on 17 June. The shop area is converted into a garage and the rest of the building is sold for residential use in 1972.(LM)



 
 
 

 

 
 

 

   

Do you have any memories or records about this address? Can you correct any of our information or fill in any of our blanks? If so, please email Barry Tolfree
or comment right here in our Forum. See below. ***

SOURCES:
BSD - Bernard Segrave-Daly
BCS = Bygones & Characters of Southwold by Barrett Jenkins
C = Census
CP = Cinema Programme 1958
CSP = Coronation Souvenir Programme 1953
G = Gales Trade Directory
GRO = General Register Office
K = Kelly's Directory
LM = Local memory
M = James Maggs' Southwold Diary 1818-1876
MCG = Methodist Church Guide 1930
NA = National Archives
PP = Pantomime Programme 1933
PLR = Petrol Licence Records

POD = Post Office Directory
PPP = Pier Pavilion Programme 1924, 1926
RCE = Rotary Club Exhibition 1969
SCM = Southwold Catholic Magazine 1923
SCTG = Southwold Corporation Tourist Guide
SER = Southwold Electoral Register
SFP = Southwold Scouts Fete Programme 1947
SG = Southwold Guide
SGCH = Southwold Golf Club Handbook
SLHR = Southwold Local History Recorder 1980s 1990s (Mrs R. McDermot)
SMHS = Southwold Museum & Historical Society

SN = Southwold & Neighbourhood 1903
SPM = Southwold Parish Magazine 1895 -1954
SR = Southwold Recorder 1927, 1932, 1934, 1935
SRB = Southwold Rate Book
SRT = Southwold Railway Timetable 1915
SSAS = Southwold Sea Angling Society Handbook 1909
SST = Southwold Summer Theatre Programmes
SSW = Southwold Shopping Week Programme, June/July 1922
STG = Southwold Town Guide 1930
SVL = Southwold Visitors List 1907, 1930
SVCP = Southwold Victory Celebration Programme 1946
SWCG = Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide

TTR = 'The Town Revisited' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 2000
TTT = ''To The Town' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 1988
W = White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Suffolk 1874

 
Note on dates
Unless otherwise stated, dates given do not indicate the years in which the business started or finished but those for which there is firm evidence that it was trading at this address. Sources in brackets; key at bottom of page.


Alfred George Baggott's shop some time between 1916 and 1924 . If you look above the white painted garage door in the modern photo (top) you can just discern the outline of the original shop window. Alfred George was the maternal great-grandfather of Peter G Parke who kindly supplied this photo (©GP G Parke).
Click the image to enlatrge

Three business cards of the early 1910s - from the collection of P G Parke, great grandson of A G Baggott. (©GP G Parke).
Click the image to enlarge

Adverisement in the 1936 edition of the Southwold Visitors Lisr.
Reproduced courtesy of Margaret Turnbull

The stamp of Arthur Cragie
Reproduced courtesey of his grandson, David Cragie