Explore our dynamic panoramas




No 24 Victoria Street
 

1760
Thomas Nunn - Brewer and inn keeper, White Lion Inn and Brewery. This occupied the site which encompases this building together with Nos 20 - 22 and 26 Victoria Street. (BSD)

1774
Thomas Nunn dies leaving the inn and brewery to his grandson. Thomas sells the business to John Woodcock of Halesworth.
John Woodcock leases it to William Crisp and John Thompson.(BSD)

1796
The White Lion Inn closes. (BSD)

1874
George Taylor - Plumber and Glazier (Source: Whites)

1896
George Taylor & Son. Now that his son has joined the business, George also takes over the adjacent property, No 26 (Source: Kelly’s Directory)

 

 
 
 

 

1931
Arthur J Cragie - Watchmaker and Jeweller (K1933, 1937) Arthur has this year left the employ of his half brother, Herbert Peck, at No 73 High Street. It is the depth of the Great Depression and Herbert can no longer afford to employ a partner. Arthur is married to Gladys and has a three-year-old daughter, Brenda. This year, their son, John, is born. They live at No 2 St James Green but move to a flat over the Bucklers' shop at No 37 High Street in 1933 and, two years later to a more spacious home at No 8 Stradbroke Road.

Arthur succeeds in building a successful Watch and Clock business until the outbreak of World War II. Early in the war, Arthur closes his shop and works full-time for the Royal Observer Corps. However, he moves his workbench and tools into the family dining room at No 8 Stradbroke Road and continues to keep his hand in as a watch and clock repairer.. (Source: John Cragie)

During the War the premises sustains severe bomb damage.(Source: John Cragie)

1946
Arthur J Cragie - With the war now over, he moves his watch and clock repair business to new pemises at No 11 Trinity Street which he rents from butcher Fred Baggott..

 

1950s
No 24, damaged beyond repair, is demolished and the land is later acquired as a garden for No 22, ‘The Old Royal’, by now a private house.



 

 

 
 
 

 

 
 


   

Do you have any memories or records about this address? Can you correct any of our information or fill in any of our blanks? If so, please email Barry Tolfree
or comment right here in our Forum. See below. ***

SOURCES:
BSD - Bernard Segrave-Daly
BCS = Bygones & Characters of Southwold by Barrett Jenkins
C = Census
CP = Cinema Programme 1958
CSP = Coronation Souvenir Programme 1953
G = Gales Trade Directory
GRO = General Register Office
K = Kelly's Directory
LM = Local memory
M = James Maggs' Southwold Diary 1818-1876
MCG = Methodist Church Guide 1930
NA = National Archives
PP = Pantomime Programme 1933
PLR = Petrol Licence Records

POD = Post Office Directory
PPP = Pier Pavilion Programme 1924, 1926
RCE = Rotary Club Exhibition 1969
SCM = Southwold Catholic Magazine 1923
SCTG = Southwold Corporation Tourist Guide
SER = Southwold Electoral Register
SFP = Southwold Scouts Fete Programme 1947
SG = Southwold Guide
SGCH = Southwold Golf Club Handbook
SLHR = Southwold Local History Recorder 1980s 1990s (Mrs R. McDermot)
SMHS = Southwold Museum & Historical Society

SN = Southwold & Neighbourhood 1903
SPM = Southwold Parish Magazine 1895 -1954
SR = Southwold Recorder 1927, 1932, 1934, 1935
SRB = Southwold Rate Book
SRT = Southwold Railway Timetable 1915
SSAS = Southwold Sea Angling Society Handbook 1909
SST = Southwold Summer Theatre Programmes
SSW = Southwold Shopping Week Programme, June/July 1922
STG = Southwold Town Guide 1930
SVL = Southwold Visitors List 1907, 1930
SVCP = Southwold Victory Celebration Programme 1946
SWCG = Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide

TTR = 'The Town Revisited' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 2000
TTT = ''To The Town' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 1988
W = White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Suffolk 1874

 
Note on dates
Unless otherwise stated, dates given do not indicate the years in which the business started or finished but those for which there is firm evidence that it was trading at this address. Sources in brackets; key at bottom of page.



Site of No 24, now demolished. The one-time pub, 'The Royal' is on the left.
Photo courtesy of David Cragie


Arthur Cragie outside his new workshop at No 24 Victoria Street in 1931.
Photo supplied by Arthur's son, John Cragie.
Click the image to enlarge

Arthur at work at his bench
Photo supplied by Arthur's son, John Cragie.
Click the image to enlarge



Arthur's and Gladys's first-born, Brenda,
aged three, snapped outside the family home, No 2 St James Green.
Photo supplied by John Cragie.
Click the image to enlarge