Explore our dynamic panoramas




No 9 Trinity Street
 

1896
Thomson and Stroud - Fish Salesmen (K1896). It is believed that this is more of a fish store or warehouse than a shop.


 
 
 
1924
Fire Station - T C Allen is the Captain.
 

1933
Alfred George Baggott - Baggott & Son - Butchers. Alfred George started his business next door at No 11 in about 1916.


Frederick George (Buffy) Baggott - Baggott & Son - Butchers. Fred is Alfred's son. He marries Doreen English. He takes over the business either just before the war or just after The business continues to trade under the name of 'A G Baggott & Son' or simply 'Baggott & Son'

Fred George Baggott - Baggott & Son - Butchers. During the War, Fred serves in the Southwold Home Guard.

 

1953
Fred George Baggott - A G Baggott & Son - Butchers, poulterers and dealers in game. (CSP) A G Baggott himself dies at about this date.

Fred George Baggott - A G Baggott & Son - Butchers, poulterers and dealers in game. (LM)

To read recollections of the Baggott business by Fred's grandson, Peter Parke, click here.


 

1970
Fred George Baggott - A G Baggott & Son - Butchers, poulterers and dealers in game. Frederick George dies this year and shortly afterwards the business is sold to K E Hutson, although the freehold of the premises remains with the Baggott family. K E Hutson, already has branches in Kessingland and at No 23 Southwold Market Place. Hutson's use the Trinity Street shop principally as a meat preparation facility for their Market Place shop. (LM)

1976 (approx)
K E Hutson - butcher. Shortly after this date Hutson's closes this shop and the premises are sold to Gardiner Estate Agents. (LM)


 
Gardiner - Estate Agents
 

Gardiner - Estate Agents

1995?
Rebecca Meo - 'Acanthus' - Holiday home letting agency

 
 

Rebecca Meo - 'Acanthus'Holiday home letting agency

   

Do you have any memories or records about this address? Can you correct any of our information or fill in any of our blanks? If so, please email Barry Tolfree
or comment right here in our Forum. See below. ***

SOURCES:
BSD - Bernard Segrave-Daly
BCS = Bygones & Characters of Southwold by Barrett Jenkins
C = Census
CP = Cinema Programme 1958
CSP = Coronation Souvenir Programme 1953
G = Gales Trade Directory
GRO = General Register Office
K = Kelly's Directory
LM = Local memory
M = James Maggs' Southwold Diary 1818-1876
MCG = Methodist Church Guide 1930
NA = National Archives
PP = Pantomime Programme 1933
PLR = Petrol Licence Records

POD = Post Office Directory
PPP = Pier Pavilion Programme 1924, 1926
RCE = Rotary Club Exhibition 1969
SCM = Southwold Catholic Magazine 1923
SCTG = Southwold Corporation Tourist Guide
SER = Southwold Electoral Register
SFP = Southwold Scouts Fete Programme 1947
SG = Southwold Guide
SGCH = Southwold Golf Club Handbook
SLHR = Southwold Local History Recorder 1980s 1990s (Mrs R. McDermot)
SMHS = Southwold Museum & Historical Society

SN = Southwold & Neighbourhood 1903
SPM = Southwold Parish Magazine 1895 -1954
SR = Southwold Recorder 1927, 1932, 1934, 1935
SRB = Southwold Rate Book
SRT = Southwold Railway Timetable 1915
SSAS = Southwold Sea Angling Society Handbook 1909
SST = Southwold Summer Theatre Programmes
SSW = Southwold Shopping Week Programme, June/July 1922
STG = Southwold Town Guide 1930
SVL = Southwold Visitors List 1907, 1930
SVCP = Southwold Victory Celebration Programme 1946
SWCG = Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide

TTR = 'The Town Revisited' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 2000
TTT = ''To The Town' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 1988
W = White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Suffolk 1874

 
Note on dates
Unless otherwise stated, dates given do not indicate the years in which the business started or finished but those for which there is firm evidence that it was trading at this address. Sources in brackets; key at bottom of page.


Alfred George Baggott outside his shop in the 1930s.. He was the great grandfather of Peter G Parke who kindly supplied this photo (©P G Parke).
Click the image to enlatrge

Baggott & Son advert 1960

1960 advertisement reproduced from The Southwold Magazine courtesy of David Wright.. Baggott's continued to use 11 Trinity Street next door as their trading address