No2 Market Place was rebuilt in the 1930s after being burned
down. It now houses the Co-op.
The Denny Store in 1890
Southwold Museum P1038
A sketch of the Denny store - perhaps for use in advertising - probably around 1900.
From a slide in the Southwold Museum collection.
T.S Denny photographed in the 1890s
(Southwold Museum P1034
Click photo for a wider view
Advertisement in a Southwold Tourist Guide 1905.
With thanks to Prof J Hadgraft
Click image to enlarge
Advertisement in a Guide to Southwold, approx 1905
With thanks to Robert Temple
Above: Thomas Shuckford
Denny advertised an impressive list of international wines
in 1907, including Italan Marsala,
Spanish Tarragona and Madeira at between 1/- and 1/6 a bottle
(5p to 8p in today's money) and even Australian wine at
2/2 (about 11p) per flagon. Click the advert to enlarge.
Above: Another of Denny's
advertisement from 1907 (but what
is the name change about?)
A Thomas S Denny advertisement from 1915.
William S Denny adverts in Southwold Shopping Week Programme,
Summer 1922 Click either picture to enlarge
in the 1920s William S
Denny had a whole department dedicated to the new technology
of radio. For permission to reproduce this invoice to Mr
A G Baggott, the 'early adopter' butcher of No
11 Trinity Street, we have to thank the latter's great
grandson, Peter Parke whose copyright this is.
To enlarge, click the image.
Mid-1920s advertisement in Southwold Town Guide
1929 advertisement for W S Denny's Wireless Department.
Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide.
Both above courtesy of Heather Osmer.
Denny's store ablaze in
Photo Southwold Museum P2529 and, below, P2825
Click pictures to enlarge
The site after demolition, looking down Church Street
Southwold Museum P
Click picture to enlarge
The Denny store was soon
trading 'as usual' after the fire. Advertisement from 1930
1946 advert reproduced from the Souvenir Programme for the Southwold Victory Celebrations.
With thanks to David Wright for supplying the image