Explore our dynamic panoramas




Nos 20 & 22 Victoria Street - The Royal
 
 

1760
Thomas Nunn - Brewer and inn keeper, White Lion Inn and Brewery. This occupied the site which encompases this building together with Nos 24 and 26 Victoria Street. (BSD)

1774
Thomas Nunn dies leaving the inn and brewery to his grandson. Thomas sells the business to John Woodcock of Halesworth.
John Woodcock leases it to William Crisp and John Thompson.(BSD)

1796
The White Lion Inn closes. (BSD)

1874
Henry Youngs runs the premises as a Beer House and Corn Chandlers. (W 1874)

1895
Arthur George Carter (1862-1944), Beer Retailer (SPM April 1895, K 1896). The establishment is billed as a Free House in advertisements.
Arthur Carter is the sixth son of the founder of B H Carter & Son whose building business is next door at Nos 14 - 18 Victoria Street. (Source: Andrew Bootman family research)


A George Carter, Beer Retailer

 
A George Carter, Beer Retailer
 
A George Carter, Beer Retailer
 

1933
A George Carter continues to manage the ale house as a Free House (SPM 1933)

The late J B Harris writes in his memoir of Southwold: "According to legend, the Royal...was a free house. It was also known as 'Carter's' and was entered by going round the back of the building. The argument was that Carter could refuse Adnams if it was not up to scratch, so his beer was always good. The beer, that is mild, that he sold was known as 'Carter's cream'. Customers would order 'Two pints of Cream!'". Reproduced by kind permission of the author's widow, Mary Harris.


1945
The Royal becomes an Adnams tied House. A Brown takes over as landlord.

 





 

 

 
The pub closes and is converted into residential accommodation.
 

 

 
 



Do you have any memories or records about this address? Can you correct any of our information or fill in any of our blanks? If so, please email Barry Tolfree
or comment right here in our Forum. See below. ***

SOURCES:
BSD - Bernard Segrave-Daly
BCS = Bygones & Characters of Southwold by Barrett Jenkins
C = Census
CP = Cinema Programme 1958
CSP = Coronation Souvenir Programme 1953
G = Gales Trade Directory
GRO = General Register Office
K = Kelly's Directory
LM = Local memory
M = James Maggs' Southwold Diary 1818-1876
MCG = Methodist Church Guide 1930
NA = National Archives
PP = Pantomime Programme 1933
PLR = Petrol Licence Records

POD = Post Office Directory
PPP = Pier Pavilion Programme 1924, 1926
RCE = Rotary Club Exhibition 1969
SCM = Southwold Catholic Magazine 1923
SCTG = Southwold Corporation Tourist Guide
SER = Southwold Electoral Register
SFP = Southwold Scouts Fete Programme 1947
SG = Southwold Guide
SGCH = Southwold Golf Club Handbook
SLHR = Southwold Local History Recorder 1980s 1990s (Mrs R. McDermot)
SMHS = Southwold Museum & Historical Society

SN = Southwold & Neighbourhood 1903
SPM = Southwold Parish Magazine 1895 -1954
SR = Southwold Recorder 1927, 1932, 1934, 1935
SRB = Southwold Rate Book
SRT = Southwold Railway Timetable 1915
SSAS = Southwold Sea Angling Society Handbook 1909
SST = Southwold Summer Theatre Programmes
SSW = Southwold Shopping Week Programme, June/July 1922
STG = Southwold Town Guide 1930
SVL = Southwold Visitors List 1907, 1930
SVCP = Southwold Victory Celebration Programme 1946
SWCG = Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide

TTR = 'The Town Revisited' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 2000
TTT = ''To The Town' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 1988
W = White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Suffolk 1874

 
Note on dates
Unless otherwise stated, dates given do not indicate the years in which the business started or finished but those for which there is firm evidence that it was trading at this address. Sources in brackets; key at bottom of page.


The Old Royal as it is today.



Advertisement in Southwold Parish Magazine of April 1895
Click image to enlarge