Explore our dynamic panoramas




No 9 Stradbroke Road - Idun House
 

1896
Robert George Simpson - Garage owner, Builder and ironmonger (K1896). Robert married Sarah Adelaide Robinson.in 1882 and he built Adelaide Villas (thought to be on St James Green) where they set up home. They had two sons: James (b 1884) and George Thomas (b 1887). Some time between his marriage and 1896 the family moved to 7 and 9 Stradbroke Road where Robert set up the ironmonger business. Sarah died in 1899 at only 39.


Robert George Simpson - Garage owner, Builder and ironmonger. Robert remarries in 1900 Georgina Eliza Spence and they have a daughter, Hilda Georgina in 1902. James and George Thomas emigrate to Australia in 1906.


 
Robert George Simpson - Garage owner, Builder and ironmonger (K1916)
 

1923
Robert Simpson - Garage owner, Builder and ironmonger (SPM1923). Now aged 60, he sells the business to...

1924
Robert Randall - Ironmonger (SPM1924 & 1928, PPP1926). Robert Simpson dies aged 63 in 1926

1929
A. Randall - Furnishing ironmonger and hardware dealer (SWCG1929)


 

1935
Ernest A Morris - Ironmonger (SRB1935, 1937; K1937)

1938
Robert Simmonds - Ironmonger, Oil merchant. Known to be trading here by this date. (LM)

Frank Mortlock recalls that Robert's son rode a delivery tricycle with which he made local deliveries of paraffin and oil. "He used to ride us around on it sometimes. Sadly he was drowned when the boat he was in capsized in the harbour."


1941
Robert Simmonds - Ironmonger, Oil merchant. Business closes in 1945. (SRB1941, 1945)


 

1953
William Henry Goldsmith - purchases the property from Robert Simmonds and reopens it as a cycle repair business. William and his wife Audrey Ellen Thirza (nee Spence) also live in the property. As well as running this business, William is retained by Mr F N Webb as manager of his Motor Garage at No 12 East Green which has an entrance in Stradbroke Road, almost opposite the shop.

Note: William's brother, Arthur Goldsmith, ran the grocery and fried fish business at No 34 East Street before the War. (Source: John Goldsmith, son of William))


William Henry Goldsmith - Cycle Repair Shop.

 

Residential

 
Residential
 

Residential

 
 

Residential

   

Do you have any memories or records about this address? Can you correct any of our information or fill in any of our blanks? If so, please email Barry Tolfree
Our forum facility has been withdrawn by the provider. Sorry for the inconvenience. We are looking for an alternative.

SOURCES:
BSD - Bernard Segrave-Daly
BCS = Bygones & Characters of Southwold by Barrett Jenkins
C = Census
CP = Cinema Programme 1958
CSP = Coronation Souvenir Programme 1953
G = Gales Trade Directory
GRO = General Register Office
K = Kelly's Directory
LM = Local memory
M = James Maggs' Southwold Diary 1818-1876
MCG = Methodist Church Guide 1930
NA = National Archives
PP = Pantomime Programme 1933
PLR = Petrol Licence Records

POD = Post Office Directory
PPP = Pier Pavilion Programme 1924, 1926
RCE = Rotary Club Exhibition 1969
SCM = Southwold Catholic Magazine 1923
SCTG = Southwold Corporation Tourist Guide
SER = Southwold Electoral Register
SFP = Southwold Scouts Fete Programme 1947
SG = Southwold Guide
SGCH = Southwold Golf Club Handbook
SLHR = Southwold Local History Recorder 1980s 1990s (Mrs R. McDermot)
SMHS = Southwold Museum & Historical Society

SN = Southwold & Neighbourhood 1903
SPM = Southwold Parish Magazine 1895 -1954
SR = Southwold Recorder 1927, 1932, 1934, 1935
SRB = Southwold Rate Book
SRT = Southwold Railway Timetable 1915
SSAS = Southwold Sea Angling Society Handbook 1909
SST = Southwold Summer Theatre Programmes
SSW = Southwold Shopping Week Programme, June/July 1922
STG = Southwold Town Guide 1930
SVL = Southwold Visitors List 1907, 1930
SVCP = Southwold Victory Celebration Programme 1946
SWCG = Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide

TTR = 'The Town Revisited' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 2000
TTT = ''To The Town' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 1988
W = White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Suffolk 1874

 
Note on dates
Unless otherwise stated, dates given do not indicate the years in which the business started or finished but those for which there is firm evidence that it was trading at this address. Sources in brackets; key at bottom of page.

 


The lintel of the original shop window can still be seen above the two new house windows.



Thought to be James Moore Simpson, Marriner, the father of Robert George Simpson who founded the ironmonger's shop.

Photo courtesey of Christine Schofield, James Moore's Great Great Grandaughter.

Click the image to enlarge



Robert George Simpson outside his shop in the late 19th crentuy. Outside the door of No 7 is one of his sons, either James or George, both of whom emigrated to Australia in 1906.

Photo courtesy of Christine Schofield, Robert George's Great Grandaughter. Christine lives in New South Wales to this day.

Click the image to see more of the scene in larger format.




Advertisement from the 1907 'Southwold Visitors' List'


and from the 1922 Southwold Corporation Tourist Guide

1929 advertisement for A Randall in the Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide.
Courtesy of Heather Osmer

No 9 during the 1950s when it was run as a cycle repair shop by William Goldsmith.
Photo courtesy of William's son, John Goldsmith
Click the picture to enlarge