Explore our dynamic panoramas




No 34 East Street
 

 




 

1916
Robert Gooding - Hairdresser (K1916)

 

1922
Arthur T Goldsmith - Fruiterer and Greengrocer (SSW1922) . The shop stands on the corner of East Street and Trinity Street with a large display window on each flank. See picture.


 

1933-1937
Arthur T Goldsmith - Fruiterer and Greengrocer (K1933, 1937). At the rear, with an entrance in Trinity Street, Arthur runs a tiny fish and chip shop with a diner above.

Arthur's nephew, John (Wiggy) Goldsmith recalls that Arthur's 'signature dish' was his penny scallop - not the shellfish but a sort of deep-fried potato cake. (LM)

1939
George Bumstead (Bumstead Bros) - George Bumstead takes over the Goldsmith greengrocery business (K1939)


1940
George Bumstead (Bumstead Bros) The greengrocer's shop closes down when the town is largely evacuated in the early days of the war.. (SRB 1940)

1944
Clarke - The shop has reopened as a Grocers and Tea Rooms (SRB1944). The new owner was previously at No 5 Trinity Street, around the corner.


 

1950
Clarke - The grocery and tea room business closes on 17 May (SRB)

1953
John Devereux & Sons- Grocer (SRB 1953, 1945)

1958
A F Ellis (Frank) - Takes over the Devereux business as Grocer and Greengrocer offering daily deliveries in the district. (CP 1958)

Mr Ellis's shop assistant is Phyllis Welham. She leaves in c1964 to work at Quantrill's fish shop at No 4 Trinity Street.


1967
A F Ellis (Frank) dies in January this year and the business closes soon afterwards. (Source: Frank Ellis's son Peter Ellis. See message below)

 

 

 
 
 

 

 
 

 

   

Do you have any memories or records about this address? Can you correct any of our information or fill in any of our blanks? If so, please email Barry Tolfree
or comment right here in our Forum. See below. ***

SOURCES:
BSD - Bernard Segrave-Daly
BCS = Bygones & Characters of Southwold by Barrett Jenkins
C = Census
CP = Cinema Programme 1958
CSP = Coronation Souvenir Programme 1953
G = Gales Trade Directory
GRO = General Register Office
K = Kelly's Directory
LM = Local memory
M = James Maggs' Southwold Diary 1818-1876
MCG = Methodist Church Guide 1930
NA = National Archives
PP = Pantomime Programme 1933
PLR = Petrol Licence Records

POD = Post Office Directory
PPP = Pier Pavilion Programme 1924, 1926
RCE = Rotary Club Exhibition 1969
SCM = Southwold Catholic Magazine 1923
SCTG = Southwold Corporation Tourist Guide
SER = Southwold Electoral Register
SFP = Southwold Scouts Fete Programme 1947
SG = Southwold Guide
SGCH = Southwold Golf Club Handbook
SLHR = Southwold Local History Recorder 1980s 1990s (Mrs R. McDermot)
SMHS = Southwold Museum & Historical Society

SN = Southwold & Neighbourhood 1903
SPM = Southwold Parish Magazine 1895 -1954
SR = Southwold Recorder 1927, 1932, 1934, 1935
SRB = Southwold Rate Book
SRT = Southwold Railway Timetable 1915
SSAS = Southwold Sea Angling Society Handbook 1909
SST = Southwold Summer Theatre Programmes
SSW = Southwold Shopping Week Programme, June/July 1922
STG = Southwold Town Guide 1930
SVL = Southwold Visitors List 1907, 1930
SVCP = Southwold Victory Celebration Programme 1946
SWCG = Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide

TTR = 'The Town Revisited' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 2000
TTT = ''To The Town' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 1988
W = White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Suffolk 1874

 
Note on dates
Unless otherwise stated, dates given do not indicate the years in which the business started or finished but those for which there is firm evidence that it was trading at this address. Sources in brackets; key at bottom of page.

 

East Street is on the left, Trinity Street on the right. No 34 East Street today has a Trinity Street address.. The right hand part of the pale blue house used to be the living quarters of No 34 but is now part of No 32. The doorway on the extreme right of the cream house is where Arthur Goldsmith sold his fish and chips and, above it was the little diner for eat-in suppers.


Arthur Goldsmith's corner shop in the 1920s. The poster in the window announces a 'Pound Day'', a popular way to support local charities at the thime. Customers were invited either to donate a pound in money or a pound weight of goods to the cause.
With thanks to Alan Goldsmith for the photo.
Click the picture to enlarge.


Arthur Goldsmith advertising his fruit and veg business in the 1922 Southwold Shopping Week programme.


From the 1922 Southwold Corporation Tourist Guide
Courtesy of Heather Osmer

From the Southwold Tourist Guide, undated but probably mid-1920s
Courtesy of Heather Osmer

In 1958, the grocer's shop is under new ownership as this December 1958 advertisement in the Southwold Cinema Programme shows