Explore our dynamic panoramas




No 12 East Green

 

 

Note on dates
Unless otherwise stated, dates given do not indicate the years in which the business started or finished but those for which there is firm evidence that it was trading at this address. Sources in brackets; key at bottom of page.
 

The Garage at No 12 was on the site of what is now Adnams' head office block next to the Methodist Church. By the mid-1940s, the site extended through to Stradbroke Road which gave access to the filling station section, now occupied by lock-up garages.


 
1916
Edwin Frederick Webb
- Motor Garage (K1916)
 
1924
Edwin Frederick Webb - Motor Garage (K1924)
 

1937
Edwin Frederick Webb - Motor Garage (K1937)

1942
His Majesty's Forces - The garage appears to have been requisitioned for military use on 1st August (SRB)

1945
Frederick N Webb - Motor Garage (SRB). Fred is the son of Edwin. (LM)

1949
Part of this site (area behind the current Adnams workshop) is run by Jack Collins) as a builder's yard until approximately the early 80s.


 

1952
Frederick N Webb - Motor Garage (SRB) Fred employs William Goldsmith as his manager. William also runs a cycle repair business from No 9 Stradbroke Road. (LM)


Frederick N Webb - Motor Garage (SRB)

 

Date
Adnams Brewery Office - The garage is demolished and a modern office block built.


 
Adnams Brewery Office
 

Adnams Brewery Office

 
 

Adnams Brewery Office




   

Do you have any memories or records about this address? Can you correct any of our information or fill in any of our blanks? If so, please email Barry Tolfree
or comment right here in our Forum. See below. ***

SOURCES:
BSD - Bernard Segrave-Daly
BCS = Bygones & Characters of Southwold by Barrett Jenkins
C = Census
CP = Cinema Programme 1958
CSP = Coronation Souvenir Programme 1953
G = Gales Trade Directory
GRO = General Register Office
K = Kelly's Directory
LM = Local memory
M = James Maggs' Southwold Diary 1818-1876
MCG = Methodist Church Guide 1930
NA = National Archives
PP = Pantomime Programme 1933
PLR = Petrol Licence Records

POD = Post Office Directory
PPP = Pier Pavilion Programme 1924, 1926
RCE = Rotary Club Exhibition 1969
SCM = Southwold Catholic Magazine 1923
SCTG = Southwold Corporation Tourist Guide
SER = Southwold Electoral Register
SFP = Southwold Scouts Fete Programme 1947
SG = Southwold Guide
SGCH = Southwold Golf Club Handbook
SLHR = Southwold Local History Recorder 1980s 1990s (Mrs R. McDermot)
SMHS = Southwold Museum & Historical Society

SN = Southwold & Neighbourhood 1903
SPM = Southwold Parish Magazine 1895 -1954
SR = Southwold Recorder 1927, 1932, 1934, 1935
SRB = Southwold Rate Book
SRT = Southwold Railway Timetable 1915
SSAS = Southwold Sea Angling Society Handbook 1909
SST = Southwold Summer Theatre Programmes
SSW = Southwold Shopping Week Programme, June/July 1922
STG = Southwold Town Guide 1930
SVL = Southwold Visitors List 1907, 1930
SVCP = Southwold Victory Celebration Programme 1946
SWCG = Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide

TTR = 'The Town Revisited' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 2000
TTT = ''To The Town' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 1988
W = White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Suffolk 1874

 



The fiuel pump area of the Webb Garage was in Stradbroke Road.
From a postcard (date not known) in the Robart Palmer collection.