Explore our dynamic panoramas




The Rope House
     
 

So called because it is adjacent to the old Rope Walk to the rear. However, it has no direct connection with Southwold's rope making industry. It was built in the 1930s as a warehouse (for what?) and was converted into studio and office accommodation in 1968. Historically part of the Southwold Town Council estate, the site's freehold was sold to the Haward architectural practice in the early 2000s. (date)

The premises were originally designated No13, a number which it evidently shared with the residential property on the right. Today, 13 seems to apply only to the latter.

1906
James Doy - Cow Keeper

 
?
 
?

 

1937
Crick & Blyth - Carters and Car Hire (K1937)

1939
Crick - Carter

?

 

1953
T C Crick & Son
- Haulage Contractors and taxi proprietor. This address is the company's garage and workshop. The office is at 2 Pier Avenue.(CSP1953, CP1958)



 

Date
Brian Haward
ARIBA AABC - Haward Architects. The practice has moved from No 1 Market Place. The warehouse is converted and named 'The Rope House'.



 

Brian Haward ARIBA AABC - Haward architects.

1986 -1989
Stephen Wolfenden - photographer, has studio space in the Rope House during this period before leaving to set up his own studio in Reydon.

 

 

Brian Haward ARIBA AABC - Haward architects

 
 

Brian Haward ARIBA AABC - Haward architects

   

Do you have any memories or records about this address? Can you correct any of our information or fill in any of our blanks? If so, please email Barry Tolfree
or comment right here in our Forum. See below. ***

SOURCES:
BSD - Bernard Segrave-Daly
BCS = Bygones & Characters of Southwold by Barrett Jenkins
C = Census
CP = Cinema Programme 1958
CSP = Coronation Souvenir Programme 1953
G = Gales Trade Directory
GRO = General Register Office
K = Kelly's Directory
LM = Local memory
M = James Maggs' Southwold Diary 1818-1876
MCG = Methodist Church Guide 1930
NA = National Archives
PP = Pantomime Programme 1933
PLR = Petrol Licence Records

POD = Post Office Directory
PPP = Pier Pavilion Programme 1924, 1926
RCE = Rotary Club Exhibition 1969
SCM = Southwold Catholic Magazine 1923
SCTG = Southwold Corporation Tourist Guide
SER = Southwold Electoral Register
SFP = Southwold Scouts Fete Programme 1947
SG = Southwold Guide
SGCH = Southwold Golf Club Handbook
SLHR = Southwold Local History Recorder 1980s 1990s (Mrs R. McDermot)
SMHS = Southwold Museum & Historical Society

SN = Southwold & Neighbourhood 1903
SPM = Southwold Parish Magazine 1895 -1954
SR = Southwold Recorder 1927, 1932, 1934, 1935
SRB = Southwold Rate Book
SRT = Southwold Railway Timetable 1915
SSAS = Southwold Sea Angling Society Handbook 1909
SST = Southwold Summer Theatre Programmes
SSW = Southwold Shopping Week Programme, June/July 1922
STG = Southwold Town Guide 1930
SVL = Southwold Visitors List 1907, 1930
SVCP = Southwold Victory Celebration Programme 1946
SWCG = Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide

TTR = 'The Town Revisited' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 2000
TTT = ''To The Town' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 1988
W = White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Suffolk 1874

 
Note on dates
Unless otherwise stated, dates given do not indicate the years in which the business started or finished but those for which there is firm evidence that it was trading at this address. Sources in brackets; key at bottom of page.




1958 advertisement in a Southwold Cinema Programme

Brian Haward, photographed in the mid 1980s.

Reproduced from 'To the Town' by kind permission of Stephen Wolfenden

Click the picture to enlarge

Photographer, Stephen Wolfenden, who occupied studio space in the Rope House between 1986 and 1989

1992 advertisement in the Southwold Summer Theatre programme