Explore our dynamic panoramas




No 17 Station Road
     
 

The Southwold Gas Light Company was founded in March 1848 on land owned by the Borough of Southwold. The brains behind this innovative undertaking was engineer George Edmund Child of No 9 Market Place who is credited with inventing the 'gasometer' which would later become a feature of every major town in the country. Child's first Gasometer was 26 ft 3 ins across but larger ones were later built off Blyth Road. Southwold's first gas street lamps were in operation by September 1848.

1874
William George Manning - Manager, Southwold Gas Light Company.(W1874)

1896
J H Elmy - Manager, Southwold Gas Light Company. Thomas Henry Jellicoe - Company Secretary (K1896).


1903
Southwold Gas Light Company Ltd - The company attains Limited Liability status this year.

1908
George Crick - Manager. J J Mayhew - Company Secretary (K1908)


 
George Crick - Manager. J J Mayhew - Company Secretary
 
1924
George Crick - Manager. J J Mayhew - Company Secretary (K1924)

 

1933
George Crick - Manager. W D Crick - Company Secretary (K1933,1937)

1935
In September the company secures a renewal of the street lighting contract for the town and begins a major 3-year programme to enhance the lighting arrangements throughout Southwold. The new lamps are fitted on brackets mounted on buildings instead of on standards. (Source: Gas Times, Oct 9 1937)

I1938
T the old premises are replaced by modern offices and a gas showroom at a cost of £1,600.


1948
The Southwold Gas Light Company celebrates its centenary. It now serves nearly 12,000 consumers in Southwold and Reydon. But this year also sees the Nationalisation of the British Gas Industry. The works now comes under the control of the Eastern Gas Board within the British Gas Co. Soon afterwards, the works closes.

 

 


1969
The Gas Works buildings are demolished and redeveloped by Southwold Borough Council who construct 18 warden-managed apartments for elderly residents on the site at a cost of £65,568. The development is named 'Crick Court' in tribute to George Crick.

 

 

 
 
 

 

 
 

 

   

Do you have any memories or records about this address? Can you correct any of our information or fill in any of our blanks? If so, please email Barry Tolfree
or comment right here in our Forum. See below. ***

SOURCES:
BSD - Bernard Segrave-Daly
BCS = Bygones & Characters of Southwold by Barrett Jenkins
C = Census
CP = Cinema Programme 1958
CSP = Coronation Souvenir Programme 1953
G = Gales Trade Directory
GRO = General Register Office
K = Kelly's Directory
LM = Local memory
M = James Maggs' Southwold Diary 1818-1876
MCG = Methodist Church Guide 1930
NA = National Archives
PP = Pantomime Programme 1933
PLR = Petrol Licence Records

POD = Post Office Directory
PPP = Pier Pavilion Programme 1924, 1926
RCE = Rotary Club Exhibition 1969
SCM = Southwold Catholic Magazine 1923
SCTG = Southwold Corporation Tourist Guide
SER = Southwold Electoral Register
SFP = Southwold Scouts Fete Programme 1947
SG = Southwold Guide
SGCH = Southwold Golf Club Handbook
SLHR = Southwold Local History Recorder 1980s 1990s (Mrs R. McDermot)
SMHS = Southwold Museum & Historical Society

SN = Southwold & Neighbourhood 1903
SPM = Southwold Parish Magazine 1895 -1954
SR = Southwold Recorder 1927, 1932, 1934, 1935
SRB = Southwold Rate Book
SRT = Southwold Railway Timetable 1915
SSAS = Southwold Sea Angling Society Handbook 1909
SST = Southwold Summer Theatre Programmes
SSW = Southwold Shopping Week Programme, June/July 1922
STG = Southwold Town Guide 1930
SVL = Southwold Visitors List 1907, 1930
SVCP = Southwold Victory Celebration Programme 1946
SWCG = Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide

TTR = 'The Town Revisited' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 2000
TTT = ''To The Town' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 1988
W = White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Suffolk 1874

 
Note on dates
Unless otherwise stated, dates given do not indicate the years in which the business started or finished but those for which there is firm evidence that it was trading at this address. Sources in brackets; key at bottom of page.





Southwold Gas Works pre 1938. On the right is the fire station.
Reproduced from the late Barrett Jenkins' book 'Bygones and Characters of Old Southwold' by kind permission of his daughter, Ann Thornton.
Click the picture to enlarge.