Explore our dynamic panoramas




No 1 Market Place
 


 

During the late 19th and early 20th centuries, No 1 Market Place was virtually the administrative hub of the Borough, under the control of Solicitor, Ernest Cooper.

1896
Ernest Read Cooper - Solicitor and Commissioner for Oaths.
Office of the Secretary of the Southwold Water Works Co Ltd, the Town Clerk, the Clerk to the Borough Magistrates, the Clerk to the Urban District Council and the School Attendance Committee (K1896)


Ernest Read Cooper - Solicitor and Commissioner for Oaths.
Office of the Secretary of the Southwold Water Works Co Ltd, the Town Clerk, the Clerk to the Borough Magistrates, the Clerk to the Urban District Council and the School Attendance Committee

1902
Thomas Edward Key - architect. Thomas takes an office here between 1902 and 1908, while designing the Station Hotel and the Randolph Hotel, Reydon, for Adnams, and the Cottage Hospital in Field Stile Road, for the Borough.

Note: Thomas Edward Key (1864-1911) was brought up in Leiston and studied at the Architectural Association in London where he won awards. His practice was mainly focused on the Suffolk coast and he maintained offices in both Southwold and Aldeburgh. He also accepted some private commissions for large, detached houses in central London. He designed the Constitutional Club in Leiston, elementary schools in Saxmundham and Carlton Colville and oversaw church restorations at Peasenhall and Dennington. His obituary suggests that he also designed several Arts-&-Crafts-inspired houses in North Suffolk but these remain unattributed.

We are grateful to Alan Hatfield of Leiston for supplying details of Thomas Key's career.


 
Ernest Read Cooper - Solicitor and Commissioner for Oaths.
Office of the Secretary of the Southwold Water Works Co Ltd, the Town Clerk, the Clerk to the Borough Magistrates, the Clerk to the Urban District Council and the School Attendance Committee

1916
Office of the Borough Accountant, Clerk to the Harbour Company, Secretary to the River Blyth Ferry Company Ltd, the Conservative Registration Agent, the Secretary of the Lifeboat Institution, the Sub-Commissioner Pilotage and Lloyds Sub-Agent. (K1916)


 

1924
Lenny Septimus Harrisson - 'Cooper & Harrisson', Solicitor and Commissioner for Oaths, the Secretary of the Southwold Water Works, the Secretary of the Town Farm Syndicate, Clerk to the Borough Magistrates, Solicitor to the Southwold Borough Council. (K1924) From 1926, Harrisson lives in part of Regency House at the corner of South Green and Park Lane. (In the 1920s the address is given as No 1 Park Lane.)


To read a recollection of Septimus Harrisson by the late J B Harris, Click here. Reproduced from an unpublished memoir entitled "Memories of Southwold 1920-1939" by kind permission of his widow, Mary Harris.


 

1935
Richard Hugh Williams-Vaughan - 'Cooper & Harrisson', Solicitors. Mr Williams-Vaughan takes over as senior partner this year. (LM)


Richard Hugh Williams-Vaughan - 'Cooper & Harrisson', Solicitors.

 

Richard Hugh Williams-Vaughan - 'Cooper & Harrisson', Solicitors.

Richard Hugh Williams-Vaughan - 'Cooper & Harrisson', Solicitors.(LS Harrisson dies in 1965 aged 82.

1967
Richard Hugh Williams-Vaughan retires in 1967.

J Margary, John Miller and Nicholas Oglethorpe take over the practice, retaining the name of 'Cooper & Harrisson'. Messrs Margary, Miller & Oglethorpe were previously partners in the Ipswich firm of 'Kersey, Tempest & Latter'.

1968
Brian Haward ARIBA - Architect, starts his practice here this year, sharing the premises with 'Cooper & Harrisson'. Later (date) he will move to The Rope House in Station Road.
.

 

Late 1970s
'Cooper & Harrison' changes its name to 'Margary & Miller'.

1977
Reginald and Doris Crown - Trading as 'Crown Electrical Services', opens for business this year in the ground floor shop.


 

Margary & Miller Solicitors. Sharing the premises

Reginald & Doris Crown - Trading as 'Crown Electrical Services'.


 

Margary & Miller Solicitors.

Reginald and Doris Crown - Trading as 'Crown Electrical Services'.


 
 

2003
Margary & Miller Solicitors. Move to No 73 High Street.

(We are grateful to Judith Simmons for sharing her memories of working at 'Cooper & Harrisson' and 'Margary & Miller'.)

2005
Crown Electrical Service closes down...

Melvin and Monica Crown - Trading as 'Eco Light & Power'. Melvin and Monica are the son and daughter of Reginald and have taken over the Crown Electrical business.

2014
Eco Light & Power closes its retail business at the end of August this year because of rising rent. Their contracting activities continue from a Reydon address.



   

Do you have any memories or records about this address? Can you correct any of our information or fill in any of our blanks? If so, please email Barry Tolfree
or comment right here in our Forum. See below. ***

SOURCES:
BSD - Bernard Segrave-Daly
BCS = Bygones & Characters of Southwold by Barrett Jenkins
C = Census
CP = Cinema Programme 1958
CSP = Coronation Souvenir Programme 1953
G = Gales Trade Directory
GRO = General Register Office
K = Kelly's Directory
LM = Local memory
M = James Maggs' Southwold Diary 1818-1876
MCG = Methodist Church Guide 1930
NA = National Archives
PP = Pantomime Programme 1933
PLR = Petrol Licence Records

POD = Post Office Directory
PPP = Pier Pavilion Programme 1924, 1926
RCE = Rotary Club Exhibition 1969
SCM = Southwold Catholic Magazine 1923
SCTG = Southwold Corporation Tourist Guide
SER = Southwold Electoral Register
SFP = Southwold Scouts Fete Programme 1947
SG = Southwold Guide
SGCH = Southwold Golf Club Handbook
SLHR = Southwold Local History Recorder 1980s 1990s (Mrs R. McDermot)
SMHS = Southwold Museum & Historical Society

SN = Southwold & Neighbourhood 1903
SPM = Southwold Parish Magazine 1895 -1954
SR = Southwold Recorder 1927, 1932, 1934, 1935
SRB = Southwold Rate Book
SRT = Southwold Railway Timetable 1915
SSAS = Southwold Sea Angling Society Handbook 1909
SST = Southwold Summer Theatre Programmes
SSW = Southwold Shopping Week Programme, June/July 1922
STG = Southwold Town Guide 1930
SVL = Southwold Visitors List 1907, 1930
SVCP = Southwold Victory Celebration Programme 1946
SWCG = Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide

TTR = 'The Town Revisited' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 2000
TTT = ''To The Town' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 1988
W = White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Suffolk 1874

 
Note on dates
Unless otherwise stated, dates given do not indicate the years in which the business started or finished but those for which there is firm evidence that it was trading at this address. Sources in brackets; key at bottom of page.