Southwold-to-Halesworth Railway began operations in
1879 at the corner of Blyth Road. It was finally closed
in 1929. During the years of its operation
the station yard became the base for a number of complementary
businesses, notably relating to coal provision. There seem to have been at least three coal merchants here in the first decade of the twentieth century.
Frederick William Hansford - Station
Charles Newby - Coal Dealer (K1896).
Charles Newby has recently been landlord of the beerhouse,
The White Horse, at No
19 High Street.