Explore our dynamic panoramas




No 9 Market Place - Child's Yard
 


 

1803
Edmund Child - blacksmith, arrived in town (M)

1841
George Edmund Child - Ironmonger, brass founder and engineer succeeds his father in the business although the latter lives for a further 27 years. George proves to be a man of many talents. He is a skilled architectural draughtsman and pioneer in gas engineering. (SMHS)

 

1848
George Edmund Child becomes the design engineer for the newly established Southwold Gas Works Company. Later he is commissioned to implement gas works projects for many other municipal and corporate gas projects. (SMHS). At its peak, in 1861, the Child company workforce is 13 men and 2 boys


George Edmund's two sisters, Maria Tolhurst Child and Mary Newman Child, become schoolteachers, opening their own school for young ladies, first in the High Street and later at No 17 Cumberland Road.

1867
George Edmund Child - becomes bankrupt but the business struggles on. By the 1871 census The workforce has become considerably depleted. now employing just 6 men. George dies in 1888 and is succeeded by:

1888
George Edmund Child Jr - Ironmonger. Although only 20, George Jr suffers long-term ill-health and dies in 1905 at the age of 37.

1896
Frederick Wright - Coach Builder (K1896). This business appears to be sharing the G E Child premises.

1898
The G E Child business appears to be still trading (see bill head, right) but the fondry is dismantled very soon after and the premises sold.

(Note: The 1871 Census has 'Edward' rather than 'Edmund' for both father and son)


1898
No 9, including the yard and workshops, is acquired by Denny & Son at No 11.

Frederick Wright - Coach Builder

 
1916
Frederick Fulcher - Coach, cart and van builder (K1916)
 
1924
Frederick Fulcher - Coach, cart and van builder (K1924)
 

1937
Frederick Fulcher - Coach, cart and van builder. (K1937) As well as his coach works, Fred Fulcher runs a miniature menagerie for tourists during the summer season. Small birds and animals are induced to perform tricks.(See advertisement, right). By coincidence, Frederick Hill, is running a similar show a matter of a few yards distant, at 5 Mill Lane.



1940
Frederick Fulcher - Coach, cart and van builder (SRB1940)

Note: Fred Fulcher (Blacksmith) is also recorded in what is now known as Fox Yard off Gardner Road. Is this a son, perhaps?

1945
LC Coachworks (SRB1945)

1949
Combined Building Works (SRB)

 

1950
Combined Building Works (SRB)

1953 & 1954
Fidden & Son - Workshops.(SRB)
By this time, Child's Yard had been divided up into separate small workshop units let to independent tradesmen.


Frank Zajdowski - artist potter. Frank had arrived in Southwold in the late1940s and local people remember his studio in one of the Child's Yard units during the 1960s and beyond. (LM)

1969
J E B Barber & Sons - Painters, Decorators and Builders. Mr Barber also maintains a base at No 73 High Street

Boggis - Milk bottling plant Date? Source?

 

D Gill - Carpenter

D Tyrrell - Carpenter

 

D Gill - Carpenter

Chapman - Milk depot Date? Source?

Hopper - Milk depot Date? Source? Was this behind 5 Market Place?

 

Mrs Rosemary Muffett - Leukaemia Research Charity Shop, occupies one of the disused workshops.

 
 

Ann Brewster - who runs the Home and Garden gift shop at No 5 Market Place, expands into the Child's Yard premises formerly occupied by Rosemary Muffet and the Milk Depot. Check this

   

Do you have any memories or records about this address? Can you correct any of our information or fill in any of our blanks? If so, please email Barry Tolfree
or comment right here in our Forum. See below. ***

SOURCES:
BSD - Bernard Segrave-Daly
BCS = Bygones & Characters of Southwold by Barrett Jenkins
C = Census
CP = Cinema Programme 1958
CSP = Coronation Souvenir Programme 1953
G = Gales Trade Directory
GRO = General Register Office
K = Kelly's Directory
LM = Local memory
M = James Maggs' Southwold Diary 1818-1876
MCG = Methodist Church Guide 1930
NA = National Archives
PP = Pantomime Programme 1933
PLR = Petrol Licence Records

POD = Post Office Directory
PPP = Pier Pavilion Programme 1924, 1926
RCE = Rotary Club Exhibition 1969
SCM = Southwold Catholic Magazine 1923
SCTG = Southwold Corporation Tourist Guide
SER = Southwold Electoral Register
SFP = Southwold Scouts Fete Programme 1947
SG = Southwold Guide
SGCH = Southwold Golf Club Handbook
SLHR = Southwold Local History Recorder 1980s 1990s (Mrs R. McDermot)
SMHS = Southwold Museum & Historical Society

SN = Southwold & Neighbourhood 1903
SPM = Southwold Parish Magazine 1895 -1954
SR = Southwold Recorder 1927, 1932, 1934, 1935
SRB = Southwold Rate Book
SRT = Southwold Railway Timetable 1915
SSAS = Southwold Sea Angling Society Handbook 1909
SST = Southwold Summer Theatre Programmes
SSW = Southwold Shopping Week Programme, June/July 1922
STG = Southwold Town Guide 1930
SVL = Southwold Visitors List 1907, 1930
SVCP = Southwold Victory Celebration Programme 1946
SWCG = Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide

TTR = 'The Town Revisited' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 2000
TTT = ''To The Town' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 1988
W = White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Suffolk 1874

 
Note on dates
Unless otherwise stated, dates given do not indicate the years in which the business started or finished but those for which there is firm evidence that it was trading at this address. Sources in brackets; key at bottom of page.



Child's Yard today

Bill head from GE Child dating from 1898, shortly before the business folded.
Southwold Museum collection

Click the image to enlarge

Undated advertisement for F W Fulcher

Courtesy of David Baker

Click image to enlarge

Fred Fulcher's employees photographed in 1912 prior to delivering a new delivery vehicle to Eastaugh's bakery at No 64 High Street.
Southwold Museum P1014

Click the picture to enlarge

Advert for Fred Fulcher's miniature menagerie in 1930

A Southwold Cinema advertising slide from the 1930s
Southwold Museum

David Gill - carpenter - mid-1980s
'David Gill, carpenter, in his workshop in Child's Yard in the mid-1980s.
Reproduced from 'To the Town' by kind permission of Stephen Wolfenden

Click the picture to enlarge