Explore our dynamic panoramas




No 54 High Street
 
 

1891
Alfred Howard - Plumber & Decorator. Alfred (40) is married to Mary Elizabeth and they have two sons, Ernest Alfred (12) and William George (7). (C1891) The family has moved from an unspecified property in Lorne Road. (C1881). They will move again, to No 75 High Street before the end of the decade. (C1901)


Residential

 
Residential
 
Residential
 

1930
R M Jones - 'High Class Confectioners. Pure Cream Ices'. (WMC1930) By 1933, Ms Jones has married Sydney S Denny of No 2 Market Place.
The Jones shop eventually becomes integrated into the Denny emporium which becomes known as Denny & Jones.

1933
Southwold Electricity Supply Co Ltd
( K1933)

1937
East Anglian Electricity Supply Co Ltd (K1937, SRB 1939)



1948
East Anglian Electricity Supply Co Ltd (SRB1948). The Electricity Act of 1947 has nationalised Britain's electricity generation and supply industry and divided it into regional boards. These premises now become a show room for the Eastern Electricity Board.

 

Eastern Electricity Board Showroom

Eastern Electricity Board Showroom

 

Eastern Electricity Board Showroom

 
Eastern Electricity Board Showroom
 

1996
Eastern Electricity Board Showroom closes this year (SLHR1996)

1996
Nunn's Bakery - a branch of the Halesworth business, opens this year but closes the following year (SLHR)

1998
The 'English Rose Tearoom' and Garden (SLHR1998)


 
 

2004
Kate and Robert Adey - Trinity's Restaurant and tearoom

2014
Kate and Robert Adey - Trinity's Restaurant and tearoom closes in Januaary. The premises are taken over by:

Gerard Amiel - Proprietor, trading as Le Roc, a French-style cafe offering traditional English and French cooking. M Amiel is assisted by Jane Unite.

   

Do you have any memories or records about this address? Can you correct any of our information or fill in any of our blanks? If so, please email Barry Tolfree
or comment right here in our Forum. See below. ***

SOURCES:
BSD - Bernard Segrave-Daly
BCS = Bygones & Characters of Southwold by Barrett Jenkins
C = Census
CP = Cinema Programme 1958
CSP = Coronation Souvenir Programme 1953
G = Gales Trade Directory
GRO = General Register Office
K = Kelly's Directory
LM = Local memory
M = James Maggs' Southwold Diary 1818-1876
MCG = Methodist Church Guide 1930
NA = National Archives
PP = Pantomime Programme 1933
PLR = Petrol Licence Records

POD = Post Office Directory
PPP = Pier Pavilion Programme 1924, 1926
RCE = Rotary Club Exhibition 1969
SCM = Southwold Catholic Magazine 1923
SCTG = Southwold Corporation Tourist Guide
SER = Southwold Electoral Register
SFP = Southwold Scouts Fete Programme 1947
SG = Southwold Guide
SGCH = Southwold Golf Club Handbook
SLHR = Southwold Local History Recorder 1980s 1990s (Mrs R. McDermot)
SMHS = Southwold Museum & Historical Society

SN = Southwold & Neighbourhood 1903
SPM = Southwold Parish Magazine 1895 -1954
SR = Southwold Recorder 1927, 1932, 1934, 1935
SRB = Southwold Rate Book
SRT = Southwold Railway Timetable 1915
SSAS = Southwold Sea Angling Society Handbook 1909
SST = Southwold Summer Theatre Programmes
SSW = Southwold Shopping Week Programme, June/July 1922
STG = Southwold Town Guide 1930
SVL = Southwold Visitors List 1907, 1930
SVCP = Southwold Victory Celebration Programme 1946
SWCG = Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide

TTR = 'The Town Revisited' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 2000
TTT = ''To The Town' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 1988
W = White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Suffolk 1874

 
Note on dates
Unless otherwise stated, dates given do not indicate the years in which the business started or finished but those for which there is firm evidence that it was trading at this address. Sources in brackets; key at bottom of page.

 



Le Roc today



Trinity's - trading until 2014

Nunn's Bakery in 1996.
Photo courtesy of David Weight


1930 advertisement in Southwold Magazine
Courtesy of Heather Osmer