Explore our dynamic panoramas




No 64 High Street
 

The present building dates from 1906 which suggests that Frederick Eastaugh started trading in a previous building on this site and had this rather grand shop built especially for him. The premises became divided into two separate shops in the 1960s, No 64 now designating the unit on the right and No 64a the Gallery on the left

1896
Frederick Eastaugh - Baker and Confectioner (K1896)

1908
Frederick Eastaugh - Baker and Confectioner (K1908)

 
Frederick Eastaugh - Baker and Confectioner
 
1924
Frederick Eastaugh - Baker and Confectioner (K1924)
 

1939
William Frederick Eastaugh - Baker and Confectioner (SRB1939) William is Frederick's son. He marries Winifred Inez Hurr


1941
William Frederick Eastaugh - Baker and Confectioner. William's wife, Winifred Inez Eastaugh (nee Hurr) is now the Manageress.

1943
William is appointed 'Auxiliary Bread Officer". (See illustration) Although bread will not be rationed until 1946, its availability and quality has been strictly controlled since 1942. The 'National loaf' is a wholemeal made to a standard recipe and fortified with calcium and vitamins.

1944
The shop closes on 30 June this year. (SRB1944).

1944
Lowestoft Co-operative Society - takes over the premises as a bakery the following month (SRB1944)

William and Winifred Eastaugh, now retired, move into the Hurr family home, No 10 Park Lane, in 1946. William's cousin, Frank Hurr, is the barber at No 10 Stradbroke Road and both William and Frank are Red Cross Ambulance men. They are on duty together on the night of the great flood of January 1953 and experience a terrifying incident. To read about it see No 10 Stradbroke Road


Other members of the Hurr family may be found at No 53 High Street

We are grateful for the help of John Dixon for information on the Hurr and Eastaugh families..



 

1951
Wallers (Southwold) Ltd - Bakers & Confectioners, take over in March this year and the shop continues to trade under this name until 1954 (SRB1951-1954)

1953
K Nursey - The Electoral Register shows him living at this address during this year, although the shop is still trading as 'Wallers' (SER1953)


1969
Andrew & Freda Balls - Toys, childrens wear, nursery equipment. The shop now appears to have been divided into two (64 on the right and 64a on the left) with the Balls business occupying the right-hand half.


 

Andrew & Freda Balls - Toys, childrens wear, nursery equipment.

 

Andrew & Freda Balls - Toys, childrens wear, nursery equipment.

1985
Richard and Bod Webster purchase No 64 from the Balls and open the 'Orwell Bookshop' this year. The Balls have opened a shoe shop close by at Nos 84 - 86 High Street.


 

1993
Rosemary Stoodly - purchases the Orwell Bookshop this year from Richard and Bod Webster.


 
 

2011
Rosemary Stoodly - The Orwell Bookshop closes this year

2012

   

Do you have any memories or records about this address? Can you correct any of our information or fill in any of our blanks? If so, please email Barry Tolfree
or comment right here in our Forum. See below. ***

SOURCES:
BSD - Bernard Segrave-Daly
BCS = Bygones & Characters of Southwold by Barrett Jenkins
C = Census
CP = Cinema Programme 1958
CSP = Coronation Souvenir Programme 1953
G = Gales Trade Directory
GRO = General Register Office
K = Kelly's Directory
LM = Local memory
M = James Maggs' Southwold Diary 1818-1876
MCG = Methodist Church Guide 1930
NA = National Archives
PP = Pantomime Programme 1933
PLR = Petrol Licence Records

POD = Post Office Directory
PPP = Pier Pavilion Programme 1924, 1926
RCE = Rotary Club Exhibition 1969
SCM = Southwold Catholic Magazine 1923
SCTG = Southwold Corporation Tourist Guide
SER = Southwold Electoral Register
SFP = Southwold Scouts Fete Programme 1947
SG = Southwold Guide
SGCH = Southwold Golf Club Handbook
SLHR = Southwold Local History Recorder 1980s 1990s (Mrs R. McDermot)
SMHS = Southwold Museum & Historical Society

SN = Southwold & Neighbourhood 1903
SPM = Southwold Parish Magazine 1895 -1954
SR = Southwold Recorder 1927, 1932, 1934, 1935
SRB = Southwold Rate Book
SRT = Southwold Railway Timetable 1915
SSAS = Southwold Sea Angling Society Handbook 1909
SST = Southwold Summer Theatre Programmes
SSW = Southwold Shopping Week Programme, June/July 1922
STG = Southwold Town Guide 1930
SVL = Southwold Visitors List 1907, 1930
SVCP = Southwold Victory Celebration Programme 1946
SWCG = Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide

TTR = 'The Town Revisited' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 2000
TTT = ''To The Town' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 1988
W = White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Suffolk 1874

 
Note on dates
Unless otherwise stated, dates given do not indicate the years in which the business started or finished but those for which there is firm evidence that it was trading at this address. Sources in brackets; key at bottom of page.


The Eastaugh delivery cart in 1897
Southwold Museum P1472

Click the picture to enlarge

Eastaugh's new, larger delivery vehicle photographed outside Fulcher's coachbuilding workshop at No 9 Market Place in 1912 prior to delivery.
Southwold Museum P1014

Click the picture to enlarge

Advertisement in A Guide to Southwold in approx 1905
With thanks to Robert Temple

F Eastaugh in the early 1900s

The F Eastaugh cafe/ bakery pictured probably very soon after it was built in 1906. The photo shows what looks like a chldren's party. With thanks to Elizabeth Pilgrim for supplying this image.
Click the picture for a closer look


Advertisement in Southwold Visitors' List 1907

Advertisement in the Southwold Railway Timetable of 1915


Advertisement in the 1922 Southwold Corporation Tourist Guide

1929 advertisement in Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide.
Courtesy of Heather Osmer

Auxiliary Bread Officer ID card

William Eastaugh's 'Certificate of ccupation' in 1943, designates him as 'Auxiliary Bread Officer'

Image courtesy of John Dixon

Click to enlarge

Advertisement for Southwold Angling Centre on the cover of the 1984 Tide Table. This was to be the Sherwood's last full year of trading here before moving to Station Road.

(Thanks to Peter Parke for this image)

Richard & Bod Webster - mid 1980s

Richard and 'Bod Webster at the Orwell Bookshop in the mid 1980s.
Reproduced from 'To the Town' by kind permission of Stephen Wolfenden

Click the picture to enlarge