Explore our dynamic panoramas




No 66 High Street
 

Grade II Listed building constructed as a shop with accommodation above in approximately 1830. The shop front has been largely retained.

1874
M Pendrey - Ironmonger (W1874)

1896
Michael Pendrey - Ironmonger (K1896)


Michael Pendrey - Ironmonger

 
Michael Pendrey - Ironmonger
 
1924
Michael Pendrey - Ironmonger (K1924)
 

1933
R C Mumford - Ironmonger (K1933. PP1933, SRB 1935, K1937) It appears that the shop has been closed for some time before being taken over and reopened by R C Mumford in 1933.

By 1939, R C Mumford is described as 'Builders' Merchants' (SRB1939).

R C Mumford also keeps another shop, next-door-but-one at No 70, specialising in china and glassware.


R C Mumford - Builders' Merchants. R C Mumford also keeps another shop, 'The China Shop' next-door-but-one at No 70.

 

R C Mumford - Builders' Merchants (SRB1954)

1967
Christopher Rowan-Robinson - purchases this shop (which retains the 'Mumford' name) as well as Mumford's other shop at No 70 High Street. He previously owned the Sole Bay Bookshop at No 82 High Street.


 

c1976
Chadds of Lowesoft
purchase this shop along with Christopher Rowan-Robinson's other 'Mumford' shop: 'The China Shop' at No 70 High Street. Christopher Rowan-Robinson leaves Southwold thereafter.


 
Mumford's - Hardware shop - owned by Chadds of Lowestoft
 

Mumford's - Hardware shop - owned by Chadds of Lowestoft

 
 

With acknowledgements to 'The Story of Chadds 1907-2000' by Margaret Chadd and thanks to Michael Rowan-Robinson for information.

   

Do you have any memories or records about this address? Can you correct any of our information or fill in any of our blanks? If so, please email Barry Tolfree
or comment right here in our Forum. See below. ***

SOURCES:
BSD - Bernard Segrave-Daly
BCS = Bygones & Characters of Southwold by Barrett Jenkins
C = Census
CP = Cinema Programme 1958
CSP = Coronation Souvenir Programme 1953
G = Gales Trade Directory
GRO = General Register Office
K = Kelly's Directory
LM = Local memory
M = James Maggs' Southwold Diary 1818-1876
MCG = Methodist Church Guide 1930
NA = National Archives
PP = Pantomime Programme 1933
PLR = Petrol Licence Records

POD = Post Office Directory
PPP = Pier Pavilion Programme 1924, 1926
RCE = Rotary Club Exhibition 1969
SCM = Southwold Catholic Magazine 1923
SCTG = Southwold Corporation Tourist Guide
SER = Southwold Electoral Register
SFP = Southwold Scouts Fete Programme 1947
SG = Southwold Guide
SGCH = Southwold Golf Club Handbook
SLHR = Southwold Local History Recorder 1980s 1990s (Mrs R. McDermot)
SMHS = Southwold Museum & Historical Society

SN = Southwold & Neighbourhood 1903
SPM = Southwold Parish Magazine 1895 -1954
SR = Southwold Recorder 1927, 1932, 1934, 1935
SRB = Southwold Rate Book
SRT = Southwold Railway Timetable 1915
SSAS = Southwold Sea Angling Society Handbook 1909
SST = Southwold Summer Theatre Programmes
SSW = Southwold Shopping Week Programme, June/July 1922
STG = Southwold Town Guide 1930
SVL = Southwold Visitors List 1907, 1930
SVCP = Southwold Victory Celebration Programme 1946
SWCG = Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide

TTR = 'The Town Revisited' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 2000
TTT = ''To The Town' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 1988
W = White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Suffolk 1874

 
Note on dates
Unless otherwise stated, dates given do not indicate the years in which the business started or finished but those for which there is firm evidence that it was trading at this address. Sources in brackets; key at bottom of page.

 

Statement of account dated 1883 issued by M Pendrey to Arthur Grubbe. Arthur was the second son of Southwold's longest-serving mayor, J E Grubbe of South Green House (now known as Regency House and Greyfriars). The account lists a wide assortment of carpentry supplies and tools together with a hip bath and corkscrew all for less than £2.

Image reproduced courtesy of Robert Temple.

Click image to enlarge

 

M Pendrey bill head 1899

Bill head of M Pendrey dated 1899.
reproduced from a collection in Southwold Museum




Advertisement in the Southwold Pantomime Programme 1933