Explore our dynamic panoramas




No 55 High Street
 

Nos 55 and 57 have at various times been separate shops and combined as a single unit as is the case today.

 

 

1916
Septimus Champ - Stationer and confectioner (K1916). The shop also occupies No 57.next door. Later, during the 1930s and 1940s, Septimus will be running a general store at No 46 Victoria Street.


 
1922
Mrs R M Jones
- Confectioner (SSW1922). By the end of this decade, the Jones business will have moved across the road to No 54 where it will be managed by Mrs Jones daughter C M Jones until her marriage to Sydney Denny and the integration of the Jones' confectionery business into the Denny emporium at No 2 Market Place, making it 'Denny & Jones'.
 

1933
Reginald Pepper - Fruiterer and Greengrocer.

1941 -1945
Reginald Pepper - Fruiterer and Greengrocer. Between these dates, Mr Pepper is recorded as running both 55 and 57 . It may be that the shops have been combined since 1933.


 

1954
Reginald Pepper - Fruiterer and Greengrocer (SRB1954)

Date?
Mrs E Bird - Fruiterer and Greengrocer. Mrs Bird is the sister of Miss Muriel Hurr who trades next door at No 53.and owns Nos 53, 55 and 57.

1964
Derek and Mary Smith - Fruiterer & Greengrocer. This year they purchase the premises at Nos 55 and 57 from Miss Muriel Hurr who trades at No 53, and the existing greengrocery business from Mrs E. Bird.


 

Derek and Mary Smith - Fruiterer & Greengrocer. Occupies both 55 and 57

 

Derek and Mary Smith - Fruiterer & Greengrocer. Occupies both 55 and 57

1987 approx
At about this time. Mary Smith takes over No 59, next door, to start a florist's business, 'Emmeline's', named after her and Derek's daughter.

 

Derek Smith - Fruiterer & Greengrocer. Occupies both 55 and 57

Date?
Nick Catling -
Photography Studio and Art Gallery. Occupies 55 and 57



 
 

2004
Gun Hill Clothing - One of a group of four East Anglia-based casual clothing stores. Occupies 55 and 57

   

Do you have any memories or records about this address? Can you correct any of our information or fill in any of our blanks? If so, please email Barry Tolfree
or comment right here in our Forum. See below. ***

SOURCES:
BSD - Bernard Segrave-Daly
BCS = Bygones & Characters of Southwold by Barrett Jenkins
C = Census
CP = Cinema Programme 1958
CSP = Coronation Souvenir Programme 1953
G = Gales Trade Directory
GRO = General Register Office
K = Kelly's Directory
LM = Local memory
M = James Maggs' Southwold Diary 1818-1876
MCG = Methodist Church Guide 1930
NA = National Archives
PP = Pantomime Programme 1933
PLR = Petrol Licence Records

POD = Post Office Directory
PPP = Pier Pavilion Programme 1924, 1926
RCE = Rotary Club Exhibition 1969
SCM = Southwold Catholic Magazine 1923
SCTG = Southwold Corporation Tourist Guide
SER = Southwold Electoral Register
SFP = Southwold Scouts Fete Programme 1947
SG = Southwold Guide
SGCH = Southwold Golf Club Handbook
SLHR = Southwold Local History Recorder 1980s 1990s (Mrs R. McDermot)
SMHS = Southwold Museum & Historical Society

SN = Southwold & Neighbourhood 1903
SPM = Southwold Parish Magazine 1895 -1954
SR = Southwold Recorder 1927, 1932, 1934, 1935
SRB = Southwold Rate Book
SRT = Southwold Railway Timetable 1915
SSAS = Southwold Sea Angling Society Handbook 1909
SST = Southwold Summer Theatre Programmes
SSW = Southwold Shopping Week Programme, June/July 1922
STG = Southwold Town Guide 1930
SVL = Southwold Visitors List 1907, 1930
SVCP = Southwold Victory Celebration Programme 1946
SWCG = Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide

TTR = 'The Town Revisited' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 2000
TTT = ''To The Town' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 1988
W = White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Suffolk 1874

 
Note on dates
Unless otherwise stated, dates given do not indicate the years in which the business started or finished but those for which there is firm evidence that it was trading at this address. Sources in brackets; key at bottom of page.




Advertisement in Southwold Shopping Week programme, 1922

1929 advertisement in Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide - shortly before the Jones business moved to No 54 High Street
Courtesy of Heather Osmer