1822 James Maggs (later to become Southwold's
famous archivist and diarist) rents No 25 as a private
dwelling from his former employer, High Steward of
Southwold, James Jermyn of Reydon. Here, at the age
of 25, Maggs decides to open a grocer's shop.
1829 James Maggs moves next door to No
23 which he has had converted as a family home
C Sawyer Jnr - Cabinet maker, moves
his home and his business in to No 25. He has moved
to Southwold from Saxmundham. In 1830 he marries Hannah
Hufflet and, the following year. they move out. Hannah
dies a few years later and Mr Sawyer marries again
- to a Miss Wakeman. However, by 1840 both he and
his second wife are dead, both aged only 37, leaving
a son and two daughters. (M)
We have not yet discovered who
occupies the shop and cottage between 1831 and 1845.
1845 William Pashley, a farmer from Reydon,
takes over the cottage and grocer's shop but hangs
himself two years later. (M)
1896 William John Blythe is now the owner of the grocer's shop, having inherited it along with No 23 (The King's Head),No 27 and No 29. Not known who actually runs the shop at this time. (K1896)
1901 William Stammers - Grocer. William is 75 and his wife, Mary, 68. They live above the shop. (C1901). The owner of the premises continues to be William John Blythe(K1908)
1910 William John Blythe dies this year and the entire block is inherited by his widow, Lily Elizabeth.
1911 Violet Bumstead (nee Marshall) - this year rents No 25. Violet (35) is the daughter of John & Emma Marshall (See No 23 High Street) and a sister-in-law of William John Blythe. She is married to George
Bumstead and they have a one-year-old son, Marshall George John Bumstead (Jack), having lost three other infants. George Bumstead Snr works as Foreman in Thomas Moy's coal yard just down the road at Southwold Railway Station. George and Violet have No 25 as their home and pork butcher's shop.
To read an account by the late George Bumstead (Jnr)
of the background to his parents' decision to become shopkeepers, click here.
1916 Violet Bumstead - Pork Butcher (K1916). By now, George & Violet have a second son, also called George.
George Bumstead (Jnr),
recalls that his father,George Bumstead (Snr), had
to take early retirement from the coal yard because of ill health.
Later (date not known) Violet also rents No
27 next door which, like the rest of the block, is now owned by Lily Elizabeth Blythe, the widow of William John Blythe, Violet's brother.
1924 Mrs Violet Bumstead - Now described
in Kelly's as a 'Shopkeeper' rather than a 'Pork Butcher',
still runs No 25 and No
No 25 is run as a Grocer and Greengrocer. However,
according to Violet's son, (the late George Bumstead), Violet opens a
dress and millinery shop next door at No
27. called the 'Hat Box'. George remembers the
shop's slogan which was printed on every invoice:
"The hat that is becoming to you means that you
must be coming to us." (LM)
The advertisement, right, indicates that the drapery
side of the business (though not necessarily
the hats) predates 1929.(SWCG)
1930 Mrs Violet Bumstead - Shopkeeper. Presumably this is still a grocery and greengrocery
business. George (Snr) and Violet
have also acquired (in 1930) the Greengrocery shop
21 Market Place which is run by their
son. However, Violet dies in October 1930 aged 55. (Kelly's Directory 1933 mistakenly continues to record her at this address.)
1937 George Bumstead (Snr)- Shopkeeper (K1937).
On the death of Violet, sons, Jack and George(Jnr) decide to discontinue
the dress shop next door and integrate
No 27 into the Grocery / Greengrocery business at No 25.
1941 George Bumstead (Snr)- Shopkeeper. The
shop is closed for the duration of the War on 28 June.
(SRB). George Bumstead's two sons, Jack and George,
are now in the RAF.
We gratefully acknowledge the help of Jim Blythe in providing information on the Blythe, Marshall and Bumstead families.
1947 J Noel Cooper, Williamson & Falck- Solicitors. We do not know when
they set up at No 25 but they leave the address this
year on 5th May. (SRB)
1947 Albert J Finch - Fruit and Vegetables.
(SRB) Two months after the solicitors leave No 25,
Finch is placing adverts inviting
members of the community to register with him as their
grocer. This would enable him to expand his product
range and open up this shop once more as a full grocery.
Food is still subject to wartime rationing in 1947.
Each family or individual has to register
with a specified local supplier from whom their rations
will exclusively be bought. It is only permitted to
purchase rations from the supplier with whom you are
registered. Albert Finch is one of four brothers:
Frank and Jo run the garage and motorbike repair shop
19a Church Street, while Kenny has an antique
business at No
59 High Street, (LM)
1953 Albert J Finch - Provisions -
Fruit and Greengrocery (CSP)
Albert J Finch - Provisions -
Fruit and Greengrocery (See Forum comment below)
- 1975 (approx) Tom Bryant - Grocer and Greengrocer.
Brewery This year,No 25 is absorbed into
the King's Head at no
23, becoming part of its restaurant.
Brewery - The King's Head
Brewery - The King's Head
Brewery - The King's Head
Do you have any memories or records about this address? Can you correct
any of our information or fill in any of our blanks? If so, please email
or comment right here in our Forum. See below.
SOURCES: BSD - Bernard Segrave-Daly
BCS = Bygones & Characters of Southwold by Barrett Jenkins
C = Census
CP = Cinema Programme 1958
CSP = Coronation Souvenir Programme 1953
G = Gales Trade Directory
GRO = General Register Office
K = Kelly's Directory
LM = Local memory
M = James Maggs' Southwold Diary 1818-1876
MCG = Methodist Church Guide 1930
NA = National Archives
PP = Pantomime Programme 1933
PLR = Petrol Licence Records
POD = Post Office Directory
PPP = Pier Pavilion Programme 1924, 1926
RCE = Rotary Club Exhibition 1969
SCM = Southwold Catholic Magazine 1923
SCTG = Southwold Corporation Tourist Guide
SER = Southwold Electoral Register
SFP = Southwold Scouts Fete Programme 1947
SG = Southwold Guide
SGCH = Southwold Golf Club Handbook
SLHR = Southwold Local History Recorder 1980s 1990s (Mrs R. McDermot)
SMHS = Southwold Museum & Historical Society
SN = Southwold & Neighbourhood 1903
SPM = Southwold Parish Magazine 1895 -1954
SR = Southwold Recorder 1927, 1932, 1934, 1935
SRB = Southwold Rate Book
SRT = Southwold Railway Timetable 1915
SSAS = Southwold Sea Angling Society Handbook 1909
SST = Southwold Summer Theatre Programmes
SSW = Southwold Shopping Week Programme, June/July 1922
STG = Southwold Town Guide 1930
SVL = Southwold Visitors List 1907, 1930
SVCP = Southwold Victory Celebration Programme 1946
SWCG = Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide
TTR = 'The Town Revisited' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden
TTT = ''To The Town' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 1988
W = White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Suffolk 1874
on dates Unless
otherwise stated, dates given do not indicate the years in which the business
started or finished but those for which there is firm evidence that
it was trading at this address. Sources in brackets; key at bottom of page.
Above, now part of the
King's Head, No 25 still clearly betrays its origins as
a shop. Below, the pretty Regency, bow-fronted shop window
dates from James Maggs' time.
Violet Bumstead (nee Marshall) with her elder son, Jack
and baby George in approx 1917.
Picture courtesy of Jim Blythe.
Click the photo to enlarge
1929 advertisement for Violet Bumstead's shop.
The drapery side of the business later became conentrated
on hats as 'The Hat Box'
From Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide 1929. courtesy of Heather