Explore our dynamic panoramas




No 27 High Street
 
 

No 27 was a separate little cottage unit until 1916 when it was amalgamated with No 25. It stayed that way all the way through to the 1970s when both 25 and 27 became integrated with the King's Head pub. No 27 became separated again in date when it became a bookmakers shop. It is now the Southwold Railway Shop and office for the Southwold Railway Trust.

1896
Thomas Naunton - Verger (K1896). Thomas is a tenant of William John Blythe who is now the owner of the King's Head (No 23) and the properties adjoining - No 25, No 27 and No 29.


 

1910
William John Blythe dies this year and the entire block is inherited by his widow, Lily Elizabeth.

1911
Thomas Herbert Hotchkin - Cabinetmaker and upholsterer (C). His shop is at No 63 High Street.

1916
Annie Clowe - Fancy Draper takes on the tenancy (K1916)

 

1924
Mrs Violet Bumstead - who, with her husband, George Bumstead (Snr), runs the butcher's shop / grocery/ greengrocery next door at No 25, now takes a lease on No 27 which becomes a millinery shop called 'The Hat Box'(K1924)

To read the childhood memories of his mother's hat shop by George Bumstead (Jnr), click here.


 

1930
Mrs Violet Bumstead dies in October this year and George Bumstead Snr continues to run the grocery. He and his sons, Jack and George, decide to discont
inue the dress shop and integrate No 27 into the Grocery / Greengrocery business of No 25. (LM)


1941
George Bumstead (Snr) Shopkeeper. The shop is closed for the duration of the War on 28 June. (SRB). George's two sons, Jack and George, are now in the RAF.

We gratefully acknowledge the help of Jim Blythe in providing information on the Blythe and Bumstead families.

1947
J Noel Cooper, Williamson & Falck - Solicitors. We do not know when they set up at No 25/27 but they leave the address this year on 5th May. (SRB)

1947
A J Finch - Fruit and Vegetables. (SRB) Two months after the solicitors leave No 25/7, Finch is placing adverts inviting members of the community to register with him as their grocer. This would enable him to expand his product range and open up this shop once more as a full grocery. Food is still subject to wartime rationing in 1947. Each family or individual has to register with a specified local supplier from whom their rations will exclusively be bought. It is only permitted to purchase rations from the supplier with whom you are registered.

 

1953
A J Finch - Provisions

?

 

1972 -1975 (approx)
Tom Bryant - Grocer and Greengrocer (LM)

 


The former shop at No 25 together with No 27 are absorbed into the King's Head at no 23, for which they become a restaurant.

Date
RaceWay Services - Turf Accountants. No 27 becomes a separate unit again.

 

Date
Mark Church - Complementary and natural health counsellor, practises fron No 27b - entrance at the rear of the building in York Road.

 
 

Date
Southwold Railway Shop

Mark Church - Complementary and natural health counsellor, practises fron No 27b - entrance at the rear of the building in York Road.

   

Do you have any memories or records about this address? Can you correct any of our information or fill in any of our blanks? If so, please email Barry Tolfree
or comment right here in our Forum. See below. ***

SOURCES:
BSD - Bernard Segrave-Daly
BCS = Bygones & Characters of Southwold by Barrett Jenkins
C = Census
CP = Cinema Programme 1958
CSP = Coronation Souvenir Programme 1953
G = Gales Trade Directory
GRO = General Register Office
K = Kelly's Directory
LM = Local memory
M = James Maggs' Southwold Diary 1818-1876
MCG = Methodist Church Guide 1930
NA = National Archives
PP = Pantomime Programme 1933
PLR = Petrol Licence Records

POD = Post Office Directory
PPP = Pier Pavilion Programme 1924, 1926
RCE = Rotary Club Exhibition 1969
SCM = Southwold Catholic Magazine 1923
SCTG = Southwold Corporation Tourist Guide
SER = Southwold Electoral Register
SFP = Southwold Scouts Fete Programme 1947
SG = Southwold Guide
SGCH = Southwold Golf Club Handbook
SLHR = Southwold Local History Recorder 1980s 1990s (Mrs R. McDermot)
SMHS = Southwold Museum & Historical Society

SN = Southwold & Neighbourhood 1903
SPM = Southwold Parish Magazine 1895 -1954
SR = Southwold Recorder 1927, 1932, 1934, 1935
SRB = Southwold Rate Book
SRT = Southwold Railway Timetable 1915
SSAS = Southwold Sea Angling Society Handbook 1909
SST = Southwold Summer Theatre Programmes
SSW = Southwold Shopping Week Programme, June/July 1922
STG = Southwold Town Guide 1930
SVL = Southwold Visitors List 1907, 1930
SVCP = Southwold Victory Celebration Programme 1946
SWCG = Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide

TTR = 'The Town Revisited' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 2000
TTT = ''To The Town' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 1988
W = White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Suffolk 1874

 
Note on dates
Unless otherwise stated, dates given do not indicate the years in which the business started or finished but those for which there is firm evidence that it was trading at this address. Sources in brackets; key at bottom of page.


Thomas Naunton - from Barrett Jenkins' book 'Bygones and Local Characters' reproduced by kind permission of the author's daughter. Ann Thornton.
Click the picture to read B. Jenkins' description of the tippling verger.