The workshop building now numbered 2 - 8 was built by James Powditch, a carpenter and builder, for his engineer brother William Powditch who has been operating from much smaller premises down the street at No 44 Church Street. Although the wall plaque records 1896 as the construction date, William is still giving his address as No 44 two years later. Perhaps he keeps both premises going for a year or two. For more about the Powditch family see The Sole Bay Inn at No 7 East Green.
William Powditch -General engineer, whitesmith, gas and hot & cold water fitter, bell hanger. For more about the Powditch family, click here.