1760 Robert Burwood - bricklayer, built this and the adjacent No 26.
1896 John Bickers - Market Gardener (K1896)
Dorothy Leckenby - resident here until her death in 1976. (Source: Gay Mason) See Nos 84-86 High Street for details about the Leckenby Shoe business.
This is one of the last cottages on this side of Church Street to be demolished, leaving just the facades, to make way for Adnams' bottling plant.
Do you have any memories or records about this address? Can you correct
any of our information or fill in any of our blanks? If so, please email
Our forum facility has been withdrawn by the provider. Sorry for the inconvenience. We are looking for an alternative.
SOURCES: BSD - Bernard Segrave-Daly
BCS = Bygones & Characters of Southwold by Barrett Jenkins
C = Census
CP = Cinema Programme 1958
CSP = Coronation Souvenir Programme 1953
G = Gales Trade Directory
GRO = General Register Office
K = Kelly's Directory
LM = Local memory
M = James Maggs' Southwold Diary 1818-1876
MCG = Methodist Church Guide 1930
NA = National Archives
PP = Pantomime Programme 1933
PLR = Petrol Licence Records
POD = Post Office Directory
PPP = Pier Pavilion Programme 1924, 1926
RCE = Rotary Club Exhibition 1969
SCM = Southwold Catholic Magazine 1923
SCTG = Southwold Corporation Tourist Guide
SER = Southwold Electoral Register
SFP = Southwold Scouts Fete Programme 1947
SG = Southwold Guide
SGCH = Southwold Golf Club Handbook
SLHR = Southwold Local History Recorder 1980s 1990s (Mrs R. McDermot)
SMHS = Southwold Museum & Historical Society
SN = Southwold & Neighbourhood 1903
SPM = Southwold Parish Magazine 1895 -1954
SR = Southwold Recorder 1927, 1932, 1934, 1935
SRB = Southwold Rate Book
SRT = Southwold Railway Timetable 1915
SSAS = Southwold Sea Angling Society Handbook 1909
SST = Southwold Summer Theatre Programmes
SSW = Southwold Shopping Week Programme, June/July 1922
STG = Southwold Town Guide 1930
SVL = Southwold Visitors List 1907, 1930
SVCP = Southwold Victory Celebration Programme 1946
SWCG = Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide
TTR = 'The Town Revisited' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden
TTT = ''To The Town' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 1988
W = White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Suffolk 1874
on dates Unless
otherwise stated, dates given do not indicate the years in which the business
started or finished but those for which there is firm evidence that
it was trading at this address. Sources in brackets; key at bottom of page.
Nos 24 (red door) and 26 (blue) were built in 1760 by a
bricklayer, Robert Burwood.. Only the facades now remain.
Nos 24 -38 Church Street were purchased, one by one by Adnams
Brewery over many years...
No 24 was one of the last to be demolished in 1984. The
fascias were carefully retained and still look like the
row of cottages they once were, but behind them lies the
brewery bottling plant.
Interior of No 24 in the early 1970s when it was occupied in retirement by Dorothy Leckenby. Ernest had once managed the shoe shop at Nos 84-86 High Street..
Picture courtesy of Ernest and Dorothy's grandaughter, Gay Mason.