The workshop building now numbered 2 - 8 was built by James Powditch, a carpenter and builder, for his engineer brother William Powditch who has been operating from much smaller premises down the street at No 44 Church Street. Although the wall plaque records 1896 as the construction date, William is still giving his address as No 44 two years later. Perhaps he keeps both premises going for a year or two. For more about the Powditch family see The Sole Bay Inn at No 7 East Green.
post 1898 William Powditch -General engineer, whitesmith, gas and hot & cold water fitter, bell hanger
William Powditch -General engineer, whitesmith, gas and hot & cold water fitter, bell hanger.
We are grateful for the help of Carol Stone (Nee Powditch. To download a special feature about the Powditch family, click here).
1916 Raymond Chester - Electrical Engineer
Chester - Electrical Engineer
1933 Raymond Chester - Electrical Engineer
Late 1940s Leslie James and his son Roger James have reopend their print firm, Southwold Press, after the War and relocated it here from Nos 6-8 Church Street next door. (LM)
Leslie and Roger James
- 'Southwold Press'. In the early 1950s Leslie persuades his nephew, Noel (Joe) Denney, to join them as Machine Minder. Noel was apprenticed to an Ipswich print firm before serving with the Royal Observer Corps and, later, the RAF during the War. However, Noel's loyalties are torn between the Southwold Press and his family fish shop at No 6 Trinity Street which, for a time, he continues to run alongside his printing duties. (Source: Ian Denney)
1960 Leslie and Roger James
- 'Southwold Press'. This year Noel Denney's son, Ian starts his five-year apprenticeship with the firm.
Leslie and Roger James
- 'Southwold Press'.
1984 (approx) Roger James
takes over 'Southwold Press' following the death of Leslie.
- 'Southwold Press'.
2001 Roger James
- 'Southwold Press'. The business closes
2006 - present Erica Clegg - 'Spring' Design and
Do you have any memories or records about this address? Can you correct
any of our information or fill in any of our blanks? If so, please email
or comment right here in our Forum. See below.
SOURCES: BSD - Bernard Segrave-Daly
BCS = Bygones & Characters of Southwold by Barrett Jenkins
C = Census
CP = Cinema Programme 1958
CSP = Coronation Souvenir Programme 1953
G = Gales Trade Directory
GRO = General Register Office
K = Kelly's Directory
LM = Local memory
M = James Maggs' Southwold Diary 1818-1876
MCG = Methodist Church Guide 1930
NA = National Archives
PP = Pantomime Programme 1933
PLR = Petrol Licence Records
POD = Post Office Directory
PPP = Pier Pavilion Programme 1924, 1926
RCE = Rotary Club Exhibition 1969
SCM = Southwold Catholic Magazine 1923
SCTG = Southwold Corporation Tourist Guide
SER = Southwold Electoral Register
SFP = Southwold Scouts Fete Programme 1947
SG = Southwold Guide
SGCH = Southwold Golf Club Handbook
SLHR = Southwold Local History Recorder 1980s 1990s (Mrs R. McDermot)
SMHS = Southwold Museum & Historical Society
SN = Southwold & Neighbourhood 1903
SPM = Southwold Parish Magazine 1895 -1954
SR = Southwold Recorder 1927, 1932, 1934, 1935
SRB = Southwold Rate Book
SRT = Southwold Railway Timetable 1915
SSAS = Southwold Sea Angling Society Handbook 1909
SST = Southwold Summer Theatre Programmes
SSW = Southwold Shopping Week Programme, June/July 1922
STG = Southwold Town Guide 1930
SVL = Southwold Visitors List 1907, 1930
SVCP = Southwold Victory Celebration Programme 1946
SWCG = Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide
TTR = 'The Town Revisited' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden
TTT = ''To The Town' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 1988
W = White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Suffolk 1874
on dates Unless
otherwise stated, dates given do not indicate the years in which the business
started or finished but those for which there is firm evidence that
it was trading at this address. Sources in brackets; key at bottom of page.
Nos 2-4 with Nos 6-6 (the previous home of Southwold Press) next door
Plaque recording that William Powditch occupied the building in 1896. It was constructed by William's brother, James.
William Powditch as a young man with cornet.
He and his brother, James,
were both cornet players in the Town Band.
Photo reproduced courtesy of Carol Stone (nee Powditch)
Click the picture to enlarge
William Powditch, front right, pictured during the building of Southwold Harbour in the early years of the 20th Century.
A section of a photo provided by Carol Stone (nee Powditch
Click the image to see the complete photo.
William Powdich with his daughter, Hilda on the left of the picture and his niece, Ivy (daughter of his brother, James).
Photo courtesy of Carol Stone
Roger James and his father, Leslie, photographed in their print shop in1984 shortly before the latter's death.
Reproduced from 'To the Town' by kind permission of Stephen Wolfenden