Explore our dynamic panoramas




No 7 Victoria Street
 
 

1896
Charles Edward Ludbrook - Boot & Shoe maker (K 1896)

No 7 was situated across the alleyway from the two cottages that now house Southwold Museum. This alley, now a cul-de-sac, was then a cut-through to the High Street.

 

1908
Charles Edward Ludbrook, Boot & Shoe maker (K 1908).

 
Charles Edward Ludbrook. Boot & Shoe maker. Agent for Singer Sewing Machines. (C1911). Mr Ludbrook moves to No 1 Corporation Cottages in St Edmunds Road in 1916 (K 1916) where he trades until 1924. (K 1924)
 

At some time in this decade the building is evidently demolished as photos taken in the early 1930s show the Goddard garage workshop occupying this site. See picture accompanying Nos 9-11.

Note: The number '7' has been reallocated to a new house built across the end of the passageway.

 
 
 
Need to establish when Cleve Finch workshop was built on this site.
   


 

 

 

 

 

 
  2000
Cleve Finch - Carpenter (TTR2000)
   

Do you have any memories or records about this address? Can you correct any of our information or fill in any of our blanks? If so, please email Barry Tolfree
or comment right here in our Forum. See below. ***

SOURCES:
BSD - Bernard Segrave-Daly
BCS = Bygones & Characters of Southwold by Barrett Jenkins
C = Census
CP = Cinema Programme 1958
CSP = Coronation Souvenir Programme 1953
G = Gales Trade Directory
GRO = General Register Office
K = Kelly's Directory
LM = Local memory
M = James Maggs' Southwold Diary 1818-1876
MCG = Methodist Church Guide 1930
NA = National Archives
PP = Pantomime Programme 1933
PLR = Petrol Licence Records

POD = Post Office Directory
PPP = Pier Pavilion Programme 1924, 1926
RCE = Rotary Club Exhibition 1969
SCM = Southwold Catholic Magazine 1923
SCTG = Southwold Corporation Tourist Guide
SER = Southwold Electoral Register
SFP = Southwold Scouts Fete Programme 1947
SG = Southwold Guide
SGCH = Southwold Golf Club Handbook
SLHR = Southwold Local History Recorder 1980s 1990s (Mrs R. McDermot)
SMHS = Southwold Museum & Historical Society

SN = Southwold & Neighbourhood 1903
SPM = Southwold Parish Magazine 1895 -1954
SR = Southwold Recorder 1927, 1932, 1934, 1935
SRB = Southwold Rate Book
SRT = Southwold Railway Timetable 1915
SSAS = Southwold Sea Angling Society Handbook 1909
SST = Southwold Summer Theatre Programmes
SSW = Southwold Shopping Week Programme, June/July 1922
STG = Southwold Town Guide 1930
SVL = Southwold Visitors List 1907, 1930
SVCP = Southwold Victory Celebration Programme 1946
SWCG = Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide

TTR = 'The Town Revisited' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 2000
TTT = ''To The Town' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 1988
W = White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Suffolk 1874

 
Note on dates
Unless otherwise stated, dates given do not indicate the years in which the business started or finished but those for which there is firm evidence that it was trading at this address. Sources in brackets; key at bottom of page.
 


To the left are Nos 9-11 Victoria Street in the late 19th Century showing the alleyway which then connected with the High Street. To the right of the alleycan be seen the corner of No 7 (now demolished) where Mr Ludbrook's sign is mounted. An enlargement of the sign (below) shows the words: E LUDBROOK. BOOTS & SHOES. WE APPLY REPROOF.

Photo reproduced courtesy of Southwold Museum (P1306)

The name in the 1911 Census is Ludbrooke. His sign omits the final 'e', perhaps for reasons of space!