the early 1930s the building has been condemned as
unsafe and unfit for habitation. The ownership of
the cottages and of the lane itself is with the Goddard
family who have a cycle shop and motor garage
at the High
Street end of the passageway.
In 1932, Mrs Goddard offers the two historic cottages
as a gift to the town on condition that they are developed
as a local museum.
A group of local enthusiasts, historians and town
dignitaries come together specifically to create a
museum for Southwold. They found the Southwold
Archaeological and Natural History Society with
the object of realising that goal. The Society's first
task is to set up a trust to raise funds for renovation
and then to see that through to completion.
To make it possible to use it as a museum it needs
to be substantially rebuilt. This entails, among other
things, gutting the interior, removing the first-floor
structures, putting in a concrete ground floor and
underpinning the front wall.
Most of the original roof timbers are retained and
five oak tie beams fixed across the interior to strengthen
the whole structure. The end result is a single-storey,
light, airy room.
The museum is opened by the Mayor, Mr E Pipeon
8th June 1933 under the curatorship of Dr
D W Collings, FZS.