Explore our dynamic panoramas




 
The Lane House & Jordan House
 
     


 

The numbering of Pinkney's Lane seems to have changed. This pair of three-storey houses was previously one unit and was numbered 9. Today, No 9 is allocated to the adjent shop on the right.

In the 1890s the building was rented by Arthur Flowers who ran a woodcarving class to provide interest and employment for fishermen during the winter months. The instructor was Mr Voisey, a silver medallist of the Home Arts & Industries Association. This successful venture had started in smaller premises in Trinity Street (number not known) and would move to its own, purpose-built premises at No 1 Park Lane in 1894.



 

1911
Stanley Fryett - Cycle repairer, working from home. Stanley is 20 and married to Louisa (25). They have a 2-year-old son, Charles. Stanley is a son of John & Edith Fryett who run the butcher's shop at No 32 East Street. (C1901, C1911)


 

1924
Charles Nelson Field - Trading as 'Charles Field & Son' Builders. (K1924) The building was used as a carpentry workshop and store. The company office is thought to be located next door at No 9. (LM)


 

1933
Charles Nelson Field - Trading as 'Charles Field & Son' Builders (K1933,1937)



Charles Nelson Field - Trading as 'Charles Field & Son' Builders

(Dates?)
Jack Farrington
- Boot and shoe repairs. Jack has moved his business from Walberswick to occupy a small corner of the left hand part of the building.. He is the son of John Farrington who ran a similar business at No 31 Station Road and No 12 East Street.

 

 

1953
Charles Nelson Field - Trading as 'Charles Field & Son' Builders (CSP1953)

Jack Farrington - Boot and shoe repairs.

Gary May, whose parents' restaurant at No 12 Queen Street, backed onto this building, writes: "Jack Farrington, the boot and shoe repairer, I knew very well and spent time often in his shop chatting about music. He ran his business from a very small shop area - front access only - within the bottom left hand corner of C N Field's building. There was barely enough room for two customers to stand. Jack was a great and well-respected violinist, both dance-band and classical. Jack remained there until his retirement. (mid 1960s?)

 


1968
Charles Field & Son are taken over by William Denny & Sons, Builders although both names are retained for a time. (Source: Robin Faires; see forum below.)

 

 

1971 approx
William Denny & Son
vacate the building for Unit 20, Southwold Business Park. (Source: Robin Faires; see forum below.)

The workshop building is converted into two residential properties. 'Lane House' on the left is the larger and is sold in 1971. The smaller property, on the right is named 'Jordan House' by its purchasers. (Source: Richard Dales)

 
 
 

 

 
 

 

   

Do you have any memories or records about this address? Can you correct any of our information or fill in any of our blanks? If so, please email Barry Tolfree
or comment right here in our Forum. See below. ***

SOURCES:
BSD - Bernard Segrave-Daly
BCS = Bygones & Characters of Southwold by Barrett Jenkins
C = Census
CP = Cinema Programme 1958
CSP = Coronation Souvenir Programme 1953
G = Gales Trade Directory
GRO = General Register Office
K = Kelly's Directory
LM = Local memory
M = James Maggs' Southwold Diary 1818-1876
MCG = Methodist Church Guide 1930
NA = National Archives
PP = Pantomime Programme 1933
PLR = Petrol Licence Records

POD = Post Office Directory
PPP = Pier Pavilion Programme 1924, 1926
RCE = Rotary Club Exhibition 1969
SCM = Southwold Catholic Magazine 1923
SCTG = Southwold Corporation Tourist Guide
SER = Southwold Electoral Register
SFP = Southwold Scouts Fete Programme 1947
SG = Southwold Guide
SGCH = Southwold Golf Club Handbook
SLHR = Southwold Local History Recorder 1980s 1990s (Mrs R. McDermot)
SMHS = Southwold Museum & Historical Society

SN = Southwold & Neighbourhood 1903
SPM = Southwold Parish Magazine 1895 -1954
SR = Southwold Recorder 1927, 1932, 1934, 1935
SRB = Southwold Rate Book
SRT = Southwold Railway Timetable 1915
SSAS = Southwold Sea Angling Society Handbook 1909
SST = Southwold Summer Theatre Programmes
SSW = Southwold Shopping Week Programme, June/July 1922
STG = Southwold Town Guide 1930
SVL = Southwold Visitors List 1907, 1930
SVCP = Southwold Victory Celebration Programme 1946
SWCG = Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide

TTR = 'The Town Revisited' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 2000
TTT = ''To The Town' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 1988
W = White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Suffolk 1874

 
Note on dates
Unless otherwise stated, dates given do not indicate the years in which the business started or finished but those for which there is firm evidence that it was trading at this address. Sources in brackets; key at bottom of page.





This photo is believed to show apprentices at work in Arthur Flowers' woodcarving class. before the move to Park Lane in 1894. However, it is dated 1901 in the Museum archive so more information would be welcomed.

Southwold Museum P2682

Click the picture to enlarge

Jack Farrington in his youth

(Southwold Museum)

The Miami Dance Band at Thorpeness Country Club in 1955. Jack Farrington is second from the left.

(Southwold Museum)