Explore our dynamic panoramas




 
Unit 20 - Southwold Business Park
 
     
 




1901
The Coast Development Company - use the site as their local headquarters during their development of the Town Farm estate which included the building of the Pier, Pier Avenue, the Grand Hotel and the Station Hotel. (Bill head 1901, right, and K1908)

Southwold Electricity Supply Company - The company's generators are housed here. (LM) The Manager at this time is F W Gibbs (K1908)


 

Southwold Electricity Supply Company


 

1920
Edmundsons, Southwold Electricity Supply- a national electrical supply company, have taken over the town's electricity supply this year following a fire which destroyed the repair shop of the Southwold Electric Lighting Board in 1919.

1924
H A Clarke - Manager Southwold Electricity Supply Company.


 

Southwold Electricity Supply Company.- When did it close?

 

 

 

 


Date?
William Denny & Sons - Site Manager is Mungo Duncan. This company has won a contract to produce timber transport containers for use by the US Air Force during their occupation of the RAF Bentwaters site near Woodbridge. (Confirmation required. What connection with William Denny Builders at No 10 Salisbury Road, and No 75 High Street?)

Date?
William Denny & Sons absorb the Blyth Hazel business, the transport company which previously occupied the old Southwold Cinema premises. (confirmation required.)


 

Date?
David Vaughan - Builders, purchase the William Denny business. The freehold of the site itself is currently owned by Adnams Brewery. (When did Adnams acquire it?)



 
 
 

1999
Duncan & Son
- Building Contractor. The company has acquired the freehold from Adnams. The company was founded in 1973 and has moved here from No 5 Mill Lane. It is run by founder Mungo Duncan who has worked on this site before as Manager of William Denny & Sons. He is partnered by his son, Brian, and daughter, Pauline.


 
 

2003
Brian Duncan - takes over as MD of "Duncan & Son" following the death of his father, Mungo. The business becomes a limited Company in 2004

2010
Mark Aldred - becomes MD following the retirement of Brian Duncan this year. Mark is Brian's nephew.

 

   

Do you have any memories or records about this address? Can you correct any of our information or fill in any of our blanks? If so, please email Barry Tolfree
or comment right here in our Forum. See below. ***

SOURCES:
BSD - Bernard Segrave-Daly
BCS = Bygones & Characters of Southwold by Barrett Jenkins
C = Census
CP = Cinema Programme 1958
CSP = Coronation Souvenir Programme 1953
G = Gales Trade Directory
GRO = General Register Office
K = Kelly's Directory
LM = Local memory
M = James Maggs' Southwold Diary 1818-1876
MCG = Methodist Church Guide 1930
NA = National Archives
PP = Pantomime Programme 1933
PLR = Petrol Licence Records

POD = Post Office Directory
PPP = Pier Pavilion Programme 1924, 1926
RCE = Rotary Club Exhibition 1969
SCM = Southwold Catholic Magazine 1923
SCTG = Southwold Corporation Tourist Guide
SER = Southwold Electoral Register
SFP = Southwold Scouts Fete Programme 1947
SG = Southwold Guide
SGCH = Southwold Golf Club Handbook
SLHR = Southwold Local History Recorder 1980s 1990s (Mrs R. McDermot)
SMHS = Southwold Museum & Historical Society

SN = Southwold & Neighbourhood 1903
SPM = Southwold Parish Magazine 1895 -1954
SR = Southwold Recorder 1927, 1932, 1934, 1935
SRB = Southwold Rate Book
SRT = Southwold Railway Timetable 1915
SSAS = Southwold Sea Angling Society Handbook 1909
SST = Southwold Summer Theatre Programmes
SSW = Southwold Shopping Week Programme, June/July 1922
STG = Southwold Town Guide 1930
SVL = Southwold Visitors List 1907, 1930
SVCP = Southwold Victory Celebration Programme 1946
SWCG = Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide

TTR = 'The Town Revisited' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 2000
TTT = ''To The Town' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 1988
W = White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Suffolk 1874

 
Note on dates
Unless otherwise stated, dates given do not indicate the years in which the business started or finished but those for which there is firm evidence that it was trading at this address. Sources in brackets; key at bottom of page.




A 1901 bill head in the Southwold Museum collection.

Click the image to enlarge


Adverisement in the 1922 Southwold Shopping Week programme. The address is given as in Hotson Road whereas today iit is considered to be in St Edmund's Road.
Click the image to enlarge

1929 advertisement in the Wesleyan Church Guide.
Image kindly supplied by Heather Osmer.
Click the advertisement to enlarge.

1930 advertisement in the Southwold Magazine.
Note: the address of the premises was at that time considered to be Hotson Road

Image kindly supplied by Heather Osmer.
Click the advertisement to enlarge.

Inside the generating room in the 1930s
Southwold Museum P2698

Click the picture to enlarge

King George V's Silver Jubilee 1935. Southwold Electricty Supply Company celebrated with this carnival float dramatising the transformation of the domestic kitchen over 25 years..

Image from the late Robert Palmer postcard collection, reproduced by kind permission of his mother, Margaret.
Click the picture to enlarge.