Explore our dynamic panoramas




No 15 Market Place - The Amber Shop
 
 


  1874, 1896
Walter James Hanner - Chemist (W1874, K1896)

Walter James Hanner - Chemist.
Hanner also runs a workshop on the Golf Course where he makes and sells his own brand of golf clubs and balls reputed to be of excellent quality. He is said to do considerable businesss. (SN) To read a contemporary account of the business, published in 'Southwold & Neighbourhood', 1903, click here.


 
Walter James Hanner - Chemist
 
1924
Walter James Hanner - Chemist (K1924)
 

1933, 1937, 1939
Hanner & Co - Chemist (K1933) (SPM1937, 1939)

Mr Alderton - a visiting chiropodist, also practises here on Thursdays.


1949
Arnold Barrett Jenkins - moves his radio, gramophone and television sales and repair shop to this address on 9 May. Before the war he ran a similar business at 96 High Street. (LM). Barrett Jenkins becomes an important figure in the local community. To learn more about him, click here.


 

A Barrett Jenkins - Radio and Television sales and repair

A Barrett Jenkins - Radio and Television sales and repair

 

1970
A Barrett Jenkins -
Radio and Television Business closes on 7th February when Barrett retires. (source)


 
Monica M Phillips - 'The Amber Shop', selling amber and other jewellery. (SST1987)

1988
Robin and Astrid Fournel - who already own a jewellery shop in Aldeburgh, purchase 'The Amber Shop' and develop the associated 'Amber Museum' at the rear of the shop.
 

Robin and Astrid Fournel - 'The Amber Shop and Museum'

 
 

Robin and Astrid Fournel - 'The Amber Shop and Museum'

   

Do you have any memories or records about this address? Can you correct any of our information or fill in any of our blanks? If so, please email Barry Tolfree
or comment right here in our Forum. See below. ***

SOURCES:
BSD - Bernard Segrave-Daly
BCS = Bygones & Characters of Southwold by Barrett Jenkins
C = Census
CP = Cinema Programme 1958
CSP = Coronation Souvenir Programme 1953
G = Gales Trade Directory
GRO = General Register Office
K = Kelly's Directory
LM = Local memory
M = James Maggs' Southwold Diary 1818-1876
MCG = Methodist Church Guide 1930
NA = National Archives
PP = Pantomime Programme 1933
PLR = Petrol Licence Records

POD = Post Office Directory
PPP = Pier Pavilion Programme 1924, 1926
RCE = Rotary Club Exhibition 1969
SCM = Southwold Catholic Magazine 1923
SCTG = Southwold Corporation Tourist Guide
SER = Southwold Electoral Register
SFP = Southwold Scouts Fete Programme 1947
SG = Southwold Guide
SGCH = Southwold Golf Club Handbook
SLHR = Southwold Local History Recorder 1980s 1990s (Mrs R. McDermot)
SMHS = Southwold Museum & Historical Society

SN = Southwold & Neighbourhood 1903
SPM = Southwold Parish Magazine 1895 -1954
SR = Southwold Recorder 1927, 1932, 1934, 1935
SRB = Southwold Rate Book
SRT = Southwold Railway Timetable 1915
SSAS = Southwold Sea Angling Society Handbook 1909
SST = Southwold Summer Theatre Programmes
SSW = Southwold Shopping Week Programme, June/July 1922
STG = Southwold Town Guide 1930
SVL = Southwold Visitors List 1907, 1930
SVCP = Southwold Victory Celebration Programme 1946
SWCG = Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide

TTR = 'The Town Revisited' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 2000
TTT = ''To The Town' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 1988
W = White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Suffolk 1874

 
Note on dates
Unless otherwise stated, dates given do not indicate the years in which the business started or finished but those for which there is firm evidence that it was trading at this address. Sources in brackets; key at bottom of page.




Receipt, indistinctly dated, possibly 1875, issued by Walter Hanner to Arthur Grubbe, a son of J E Grubbe, Southwold's longest serving mayor. The family lived part of the time at South Green House (Now known as Regency House and Greyfriars). Chemists at that time sold tobacco and smokers' requisites and Arthur, then in his 20s and with no occupation, was clearly an enthusiastic smoker. His account with Hanner shows repeated purchases of pipes, tobacco, cigarettes and 'Vesuvians'. The latter were slow-burning matches made by Bryant and May especially for lighting pipes. Arthur also experimented with Areca Nuts, often referred to as Betel Nuts. These were chewed as a stimulant.

Image reproduced courtesy of Robert Temple.

Click the image to enlarge

Barrett Jenkins. Click the picture for biographical details.

1987 Advertisement in the Southwold Summer Theatre programme