Explore our dynamic panoramas




No 13 Market Place
 


 

1896
At this time No 13 is in multiple occupancy:

William King - Cooper (K1896)

John Manzia Canova- Watchmaker & Jeweller (K1896). Mr Canova who is of Italian ancestry, was trading in both Southwold and Halesworth between 1870 and 1906. (Bonhams). His son, Robert John Canova (born in 1871) will himself go into the trade and Robert's wife, Deborah Ellen Canova, will be trading as a watchmaker under her own name by 1908 at No 73 High Street. They will call their son (born 1900), Robert Manzia. (C)

Canova & Co - Letterpress and Lithographic Printers (K1896). This business is run by John Manzia Canova's brother.


1908
Denny & Son - Tailors, who are already established next door at No 11, have taken over most of No 13 but part of it is also occupied by a peripatetic dentist, Robert Victor Britten, LDS Eng, who attends on Fridays. (K1908) R V Britten, who also maintains a consulting room at No 8 Queen Street, is the father of the little boy who will one day become world-famous as the composer, Benjamin Britten.


 

Denny & Son - Tailors (See No 11 for details)

Robert Victor Britten, LDS Eng - Dentist

 
1922
Denny & Son - Tailors (See No 11 for details)

Robert Victor Britten, LDS Eng - Dentist (SSW 1922)
 

Denny & Son - Tailors (See No 11 for details)

Denny & Son - Tailors (See No 11 for details)

 

Denny & Son - Tailors (See No 11 for details)

Denny & Son (See No 11 for details)

 

Denny & Son (See No 11 for details)

 
Denny & Son (See No 11 for details)
 

Denny & Son (See No 11 for details)

 
 

Denny & Son (See No 11 for details)

   

Do you have any memories or records about this address? Can you correct any of our information or fill in any of our blanks? If so, please email Barry Tolfree
or comment right here in our Forum. See below. ***

SOURCES:
BSD - Bernard Segrave-Daly
BCS = Bygones & Characters of Southwold by Barrett Jenkins
C = Census
CP = Cinema Programme 1958
CSP = Coronation Souvenir Programme 1953
G = Gales Trade Directory
GRO = General Register Office
K = Kelly's Directory
LM = Local memory
M = James Maggs' Southwold Diary 1818-1876
MCG = Methodist Church Guide 1930
NA = National Archives
PP = Pantomime Programme 1933
PLR = Petrol Licence Records

POD = Post Office Directory
PPP = Pier Pavilion Programme 1924, 1926
RCE = Rotary Club Exhibition 1969
SCM = Southwold Catholic Magazine 1923
SCTG = Southwold Corporation Tourist Guide
SER = Southwold Electoral Register
SFP = Southwold Scouts Fete Programme 1947
SG = Southwold Guide
SGCH = Southwold Golf Club Handbook
SLHR = Southwold Local History Recorder 1980s 1990s (Mrs R. McDermot)
SMHS = Southwold Museum & Historical Society

SN = Southwold & Neighbourhood 1903
SPM = Southwold Parish Magazine 1895 -1954
SR = Southwold Recorder 1927, 1932, 1934, 1935
SRB = Southwold Rate Book
SRT = Southwold Railway Timetable 1915
SSAS = Southwold Sea Angling Society Handbook 1909
SST = Southwold Summer Theatre Programmes
SSW = Southwold Shopping Week Programme, June/July 1922
STG = Southwold Town Guide 1930
SVL = Southwold Visitors List 1907, 1930
SVCP = Southwold Victory Celebration Programme 1946
SWCG = Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide

TTR = 'The Town Revisited' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 2000
TTT = ''To The Town' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 1988
W = White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Suffolk 1874

 
Note on dates
Unless otherwise stated, dates given do not indicate the years in which the business started or finished but those for which there is firm evidence that it was trading at this address. Sources in brackets; key at bottom of page.


The Denny shop was originally two residential units and is still numbered 11 and 13. Child's Yard is on the right.

The premises in c 1890 showing the Canova shop on the left and Denny on the right. Denny would soon expand their store to incorporate Canova's shop.

Part of a phototograph reproduced from Barrett Jenkins' book. 'A Visit to Southwold' coutesy of the author's daughter. Ann Thornton

Click the image to see the complete photo

An 1899 billhead from the printers, Canova & Co.
From a collection in the Southwold Museum archive.
Clicl the image to enlarge

The Denny shopfront around the turn of the century
Reproduced from a contemporary guide book: 'Southwold & Neighbourhood'
Click the picture to enlarge.