Explore our dynamic panoramas




No 96 High Street
 
 

1874
Charles Naunton - Cabinet Maker, upholsterer, undertaker, woodcarver. (W1874, K1896) In the 1880s, Frederick Hill joins him as an apprentice boy. He takes over the business in 1896 later moving it to No 5 Mill Lane. He runs it for the following 53 years, retiring in 1949. (Source: Frederick Hill's obit. Halesworth Times, Sept 12 1951.)

Date?
J Martyn - Photographer. Occupies Nos 94 and 96 (Source: photo, right)


1902
Frederick Jenkins - Photographer.(SN) . Frederick runs a thriving photography, photographic processing, framing and general souvenir business incorporating No 92 as well as 94 and 96. He is to become an historically significant figure for Southwold, being responsible for many of the images which have become an important source of insight into what life in Southwold was like in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. To read a contemporary 'advertorial' about the Jenkins business, which appeared in 1902 in the visitors' guide, 'Southwold & Neighbourhood', click here.

1908
Frederick Jenkins - Photographer (K1908)


 
Frederick Jenkins - Photographer
 
1924
Frederick Jenkins - Photographer (K1924). The 1922 advertisement for Southwold Homecrafts, right, suggests that No 96 is specifically devoted to souvenirs and arts and crafts.
 

1937
Arnold Barrett Jenkins
- Radio Department. Frederick's son sets up his own business within the family shop, selling, repairing and recharging wireless sets.
To read a short biography click here.


Arnold Barrett Jenkins - Radio Department. After the War, Barrett moves into his own premises at No 15 Market Place.

 

1954
Following Frederick's death this year, Miss Alicia Maud Jenkins (known as Peggie) and Marjorie Beryl Jenkins continue running the business at all three addresses (92, 94 and 96) as an up-market stationery store. It retains the 'F Jenkins' name. (LM)



Alicia Maud Jenkins and Marjorie Beryl Jenkins - Stationery Store trading as 'F Jenkins'.

 

1971
Heather & Maurice Cooper - take over Nos 94 and 96 this year. and specialise in stationery, high-quality china and souvenir giftware. (LM)


 

1984
Heather Cooper - The business is sold this year on the retirement of Mrs Cooper.

1987
L & S Rexon - Gifts, cards, stationery, books, artist's materials. Also occupy No 94 next door. (SST1987)

 

 

1990
'Great Expectations' -
High-class stationery commences trading this year, also occupying No 94 next door.(SSC1990). Name of proprietor?

1994
Warnes & Co - Corn Chandlers and pet foods. (SST1994) (Name of proprietor?)


 
 

2006
Don & Maddy Muffett - Trading as 'Muffett & Co' - Corn Chandlers and pet foods
. The Muffetts leave Southwold and relocate to Scotland in 2010.

2010
All Pets - Pet Foods and supplies. This is a branch of a similarly names Lowestoft business. Closes in November 2013 but continues to trade from a market stall on Mondays and Thursdays. (Name of proprietors?)

2013
Quba & Co - Sailing-inspired casual clothing. This branch of a medium-sized chain opens in December this year and is the company's second to be based in Southwold. Its sister shop, Gun Hill Clothing, is at No 55 High Street.

 




   

Do you have any memories or records about this address? Can you correct any of our information or fill in any of our blanks? If so, please email Barry Tolfree
or comment right here in our Forum. See below. ***

SOURCES:
BSD - Bernard Segrave-Daly
BCS = Bygones & Characters of Southwold by Barrett Jenkins
C = Census
CP = Cinema Programme 1958
CSP = Coronation Souvenir Programme 1953
G = Gales Trade Directory
GRO = General Register Office
K = Kelly's Directory
LM = Local memory
M = James Maggs' Southwold Diary 1818-1876
MCG = Methodist Church Guide 1930
NA = National Archives
PP = Pantomime Programme 1933
PLR = Petrol Licence Records

POD = Post Office Directory
PPP = Pier Pavilion Programme 1924, 1926
RCE = Rotary Club Exhibition 1969
SCM = Southwold Catholic Magazine 1923
SCTG = Southwold Corporation Tourist Guide
SER = Southwold Electoral Register
SFP = Southwold Scouts Fete Programme 1947
SG = Southwold Guide
SGCH = Southwold Golf Club Handbook
SLHR = Southwold Local History Recorder 1980s 1990s (Mrs R. McDermot)
SMHS = Southwold Museum & Historical Society

SN = Southwold & Neighbourhood 1903
SPM = Southwold Parish Magazine 1895 -1954
SR = Southwold Recorder 1927, 1932, 1934, 1935
SRB = Southwold Rate Book
SRT = Southwold Railway Timetable 1915
SSAS = Southwold Sea Angling Society Handbook 1909
SST = Southwold Summer Theatre Programmes
SSW = Southwold Shopping Week Programme, June/July 1922
STG = Southwold Town Guide 1930
SVL = Southwold Visitors List 1907, 1930
SVCP = Southwold Victory Celebration Programme 1946
SWCG = Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide

TTR = 'The Town Revisited' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 2000
TTT = ''To The Town' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 1988
W = White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Suffolk 1874

 
Note on dates
Unless otherwise stated, dates given do not indicate the years in which the business started or finished but those for which there is firm evidence that it was trading at this address. Sources in brackets; key at bottom of page.

 



Quba & Co just before opening - December 2013



Frederick Jenkins behind his half-plate camera in the early part of the 20th Century
Taken from Barrett Jenkins book "Bygones and Local Characters of Southwold' by kind permission of the author's daughter, Ann Thornton.


Frederick Jenkins' shop in the early 1900s occupied 92, 94 and 96 (the latter just out of shot on the right)
Click the picture to enlarge


Advertisement in the 1922 Southwold Corporathion Tourist Guide. Southwold Homecrafts was part of the Frederick Jenkins business.


Barrett Jenkins
To read a brief biography, click the picture

1987 advertisement in the Southwold Summer Theatre programme

1990 advertisement in the Southwold Summer Theatre programme

M & H Cooper's shop sign was uncovered briefly during refurbishment in November 2013 following the closure of 'All Pets'
Photo courtesy of Jill Horne

Warnes & Co, Corn chandlers and petfoods, in 1996.

Photo courtesy of David Weight

Muffet & Co opened in 2006 and closed in approximately 2010.