was an alehouse probably since the mid 19th century until 1956.
It was once known as 'The Wagon and Horses'. The date
of the name change is not clear but was possibly in
1871 to commemorate the wedding of John Campbell,
9th Duke of Argyll (known as the Marquess of Lorne)
to Princess Louise - the first time a princess had
married a commoner since 1515. At any rate, by the
1890s it was undoubtedly known as 'The Marquis of
Lorne' and was an Adnams pub as is evidenced by the
photo, right. At some date the spelling of the pub's name was changed from the continental 'Marquis' to the English version, 'Marquess'. (See pubsign photo, right)
Richard Lord - Beer house keeper
Richard, who hailed from North Norfolk, previously owned at least three cargo sailing ships: 'Lapwing of Wells', 'Wells Packet' and 'Katherine Fraser of Wells'. One of these, a coal boat, was
destroyed by fire at Blackshore
in 1863 (M). Afterwards - in about 1881 - he worked
as a pork butcher at No
5 Constitution Hill - then called 'South End'
before taking over the Marquis of Lorne beer house.
Richard had married Maria Harrison in Hunstanton, Norfolk, in 1855 and they lived
at Heacham, Norfolk before moving to Southwold in
about 1862. (Sources: N P Moran, Richard Lord's Great Great Grandson)
Richard & Maria Lord - Landlord
and landlady of the Marquis of Lorne.
They have eleven children - Ellen, Charlotte, Richard John, Eleanor, Fanny, Thomas, William, Charles, Mary, Frederick
and Margaret. In 1891 only the last three (teenagers) still lived at home(C1891). Richard is also described as
a cider merchant and dairyman (W) whilst his wife
is described as innkeeper and cow keeper.
Baldry - Beer Seller Marquis