Explore our dynamic panoramas




No 11 East Street
 

 

1896
George Thomas Naunton - Coal Merchant and Fancy Goods Dealer.(K1896). The premises is essentially residential at this time and Naunton's trading activities probably take place in his front room. The corner shop unit does not yet exist.

1908
Herbert S Baker - Dealer in Antiques, Walter Joseph Porter, Watchmaker and Marian Brashier, 'Marian's' Art and Needlework Depot (K1908). It appears that all three share the premises. Miss Brashier (whose address is given as 11a, trades in Southwold for many years, not only here but also at 29 Station Road and at Nos 73 and 83 High Street.

 
1916
Arthur Ladd - Fishmonger (K1916). He is the first occupant of the purpose-built, single-storey retail extension unit which he built on the corner of East Street and Pinkneys Lane.
 

1924
Arthur Ladd - Fishmonger (K1924)

1924
Martin Rouch - Elms Farm Dairy (K1924). Elms Farm Dairy employs a young milk boy, William Griggs. According to his nephew, Harry Griggs, William left school in 1921 and went to work on a farm. It was not long before William was spending more time with the farmer's daughter than with farm work. The farmer sacked him but his father told him about a milkman job with Martin Rouch. William is to remain in this job for the rest of his working life. (LM)

 

1930
Martin Rouch - Elms Farm Dairy . Milkman, William Griggs briefly entertains the idea of leaving the dairy. He and his fisherman brother, Harold travel to London to try to get jobs on the LCC trams where his father is already a driver. Harold is accepted but William is rejected on account of 'bad feet'. William returns to Southwold and the dairy where it is not all bad news... One day, while delivering milk to the Vicarage, he sets eyes on the Vicar's Geordie cook and is smitten. Despite the feet, he pursues her home to Sunderland and later hauls her back to Southwold as his wife. He will continue tramping the streets as a milkman for the rest of his working life (Source: Harry Griggs, William's nephew)

Late 1930s
Victor Harry Boggis - Elms Farm Dairy - Retail & Wholesale

1947
Victor Harry Boggis - Elms Farm Dairy - Retail & Wholesale (SRB 1947-48). Elms Farm Dairy, under the proprietorship of V H Boggis, moves into the existing dairy at No 3 Market Place in 1949. William Griggs, his milkman goes too. (LM)

 

1951
Mrs Wellam - Fish & Chip Shop (SRB 1951-54)

1958
Brian Leight - "Brian's Fish & Chips" (CP 1958)

1959
Harry Chapman - Electrical showroom and electrical repairs


Harry Chapman - Electrical showroom and electrical repairs

 

1972
Crown & Co - Electrical Service. Crown & Co later moved to No 1 Market Place

1979
Mrs Goldspink - Ladies' Outfitter


 

1980
Mrs D Spring & Miss Jean Page - 'Nutters' Health Foods and Delicatessen (LM)

1988
Louise Stroyan - 'Nutters' Delicatessen

 

Louise Stroyan - 'Nutters' Delicatessen

 
 

Louise Stroyan - 'Nutters' Delicatessen

   

Do you have any memories or records about this address? Can you correct any of our information or fill in any of our blanks? If so, please email Barry Tolfree
or comment right here in our Forum. See below. ***

SOURCES:
BSD - Bernard Segrave-Daly
BCS = Bygones & Characters of Southwold by Barrett Jenkins
C = Census
CP = Cinema Programme 1958
CSP = Coronation Souvenir Programme 1953
G = Gales Trade Directory
GRO = General Register Office
K = Kelly's Directory
LM = Local memory
M = James Maggs' Southwold Diary 1818-1876
MCG = Methodist Church Guide 1930
NA = National Archives
PP = Pantomime Programme 1933
PLR = Petrol Licence Records

POD = Post Office Directory
PPP = Pier Pavilion Programme 1924, 1926
RCE = Rotary Club Exhibition 1969
SCM = Southwold Catholic Magazine 1923
SCTG = Southwold Corporation Tourist Guide
SER = Southwold Electoral Register
SFP = Southwold Scouts Fete Programme 1947
SG = Southwold Guide
SGCH = Southwold Golf Club Handbook
SLHR = Southwold Local History Recorder 1980s 1990s (Mrs R. McDermot)
SMHS = Southwold Museum & Historical Society

SN = Southwold & Neighbourhood 1903
SPM = Southwold Parish Magazine 1895 -1954
SR = Southwold Recorder 1927, 1932, 1934, 1935
SRB = Southwold Rate Book
SRT = Southwold Railway Timetable 1915
SSAS = Southwold Sea Angling Society Handbook 1909
SST = Southwold Summer Theatre Programmes
SSW = Southwold Shopping Week Programme, June/July 1922
STG = Southwold Town Guide 1930
SVL = Southwold Visitors List 1907, 1930
SVCP = Southwold Victory Celebration Programme 1946
SWCG = Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide

TTR = 'The Town Revisited' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 2000
TTT = ''To The Town' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 1988
W = White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Suffolk 1874

 
Note on dates
Unless otherwise stated, dates given do not indicate the years in which the business started or finished but those for which there is firm evidence that it was trading at this address. Sources in brackets; key at bottom of page.


Originally No 11 comprised the pink building. The corner shop unit (now Nutters delicatessen) was built as a wet fish shop in the early years of the 20th Century and has since served a wide variety of purposes.

View in 1897 during Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee celebrations, looking towards the Market Place from outside the Lord Nelson on the right. No 11 is the chimneyed gable end on the left with a small garden where the single-storey shop now is.
Southwold Museum P 1475

Click the picture to enlarge

GT Naunton bill head dated 1898
from a collection in the Southwold Museum archive

Above: two advertisements for Martin Rouch's Elms Farm Dairy. Top, undated in Southwold Town Guide and, below, in Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide 1929.
Both courtesy of Heather Osmer


Brian's Fish & Chips as advertised in the Southwold Cinema programme of 1958