Eaton Womack Moore - Post Office,
Grocer, Draper, Auctioneer, House Agent, Valuer and Agent for the Royal Fire Insurance Company. (W 1874) Whites' Suffolk Directory specifies only the Market Place for Eaton Moore without giving
a number. However the 1887 letterhead reproduced right, though not giving a number, clearly locates it on the corner of Market Place and East Street.
There is some uncertainty about when Eaton Moore actually took over as Post and Telegraph Master. It may be that, in the early 1870s No 25 Market Place was acting only as a sub-post office but took over as Southwold's main post office (from its previous location round the corner at No 12 Queen Street) in 1877 with the death of C M Marsden and the resignathion of his niece, Post Mistress Matilda Drewell).
The Census for 1871 records that Eaton Moore resided
in York while the 1881 census indicates that he has
now moved to Southwold as a 'grocer & draper,
auctioneer and sub-postmaster' based at No
1 Market Place. Perhaps this is a confusion based
on the fact that 1 East Street and 25 Market Place
are adjoining). See No 25 Market Place for more. However, describing him as 'sub-postmaster' in 1881 is odd. Verification of dates and places required, please.
By 1896 (and probably in 1892) he has moved the Post Office and his other business interests to No
80 High Street (K1896) and he becomes Mayor of
Southwold in 1899 at the age of 52, holding that office
Henry Moss - Groceries and Provisions
and Drapery (Photo record, right 1892, SPM 1895).
The Henry Moss emporium incorporates No 25
Market Place as well as 1 & 3 East Street
and, in fact, the main entrance to the shop is in
the Market Place at this time.