No 44 Church Street. The present building is a relatively new construction
William Powditch as a young man with cornet.
He and his brother, James,
were both cornet players in the Town Band.
Photo reproduced courtesy of Carol Stone (nee Powditch)
Click the picture to enlarge
Bill Head from William Powditch dated 1898.
Southwold Museum collection
Click the image to enlarge
In 1902, Goddard & Kemp's handmade cycles could be had
for ten guineas each . To read a contemporary account of
this recently established business, click the picture.
Frank Bedingfield''s Fish & Chip shop in May 1937 just before the coronation of George VI.
Reproduced from a postcard kindly supplied by Heather Osmer.
Click the picture to see the whole image.
Jack Bedingfield (right) in 1913 photographed by Fred Jenkins
with (l to r) S Girling, S Thompson and O Thompson. Reproduced
by permission of the photographer's granddaughter, Ann Thornton
1946 advertisement for EJ Bedingfield in the Souvenir Programme of the Southwold Victory Celebration. Note, the address is given as No 42. Had he moved next door after the War?
With thanks to David Wright for this image.