Explore our dynamic panoramas




No 2 Victoria Street
 
  1896
William Henchman Miller – Wheelwright (K 1896)

1906
William Henchman Miller – Wheelwright. (K1906) Although W H Miller is recorded in Kelly's Directory as running the business at No 2, the 1901 census shows that he also trades from his home address at No 16 Bartholomew Green. (C1901)

 

1916
Robert Charles Blowers – Shoeing smith (K 1916)
William H Miller continues to own the wheelwright business, employing Mr Blowers to run the smithy side. The Blowers smithy actually encompasses the building next door at No 40-42 High Street.


 

1924
William H Miller & Sons – Wheelwright and shoeing smith (K 1924)
William H Miller’s son, Ted, is now running the business. Ronnie Waters remembers him also making builders’ ladders in his workshop, an understandable diversification as the market for cart wheels declines. This shop is, at the time, connected to the adjacent premises at No 40-42 High Street where, since 1921 Mr Noller the blacksmith has been shoeing horses. (Source: SRB, LM)


 
1937
William H Miller & Sons – Wheelwright and shoeing smith. (K 1937) The smithy annexe closes in 1939
 

Date
Mr & Mrs R Powell - 'Jack o' Lantern' coffee bar.

     
Mr & Mrs R Powell - 'Jack o' Lantern' coffee bar.
 
Mr & Mrs R Powell - 'Jack o' Lantern' coffee bar.
 
Date
No 2 is now combined with No 4 as a private home with the ground floor a garage. The name plaque of the house preserves the name 'Jack o' Lantern' as well as carrying a symbolic anvil recalling its previous history.
 
 
   
   

Do you have any memories or records about this address? Can you correct any of our information or fill in any of our blanks? If so, please email Barry Tolfree
or comment right here in our Forum. See below. ***

SOURCES:
BSD - Bernard Segrave-Daly
BCS = Bygones & Characters of Southwold by Barrett Jenkins
C = Census
CP = Cinema Programme 1958
CSP = Coronation Souvenir Programme 1953
G = Gales Trade Directory
GRO = General Register Office
K = Kelly's Directory
LM = Local memory
M = James Maggs' Southwold Diary 1818-1876
MCG = Methodist Church Guide 1930
NA = National Archives
PP = Pantomime Programme 1933
PLR = Petrol Licence Records

POD = Post Office Directory
PPP = Pier Pavilion Programme 1924, 1926
RCE = Rotary Club Exhibition 1969
SCM = Southwold Catholic Magazine 1923
SCTG = Southwold Corporation Tourist Guide
SER = Southwold Electoral Register
SFP = Southwold Scouts Fete Programme 1947
SG = Southwold Guide
SGCH = Southwold Golf Club Handbook
SLHR = Southwold Local History Recorder 1980s 1990s (Mrs R. McDermot)
SMHS = Southwold Museum & Historical Society

SN = Southwold & Neighbourhood 1903
SPM = Southwold Parish Magazine 1895 -1954
SR = Southwold Recorder 1927, 1932, 1934, 1935
SRB = Southwold Rate Book
SRT = Southwold Railway Timetable 1915
SSAS = Southwold Sea Angling Society Handbook 1909
SST = Southwold Summer Theatre Programmes
SSW = Southwold Shopping Week Programme, June/July 1922
STG = Southwold Town Guide 1930
SVL = Southwold Visitors List 1907, 1930
SVCP = Southwold Victory Celebration Programme 1946
SWCG = Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide

TTR = 'The Town Revisited' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 2000
TTT = ''To The Town' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 1988
W = White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Suffolk 1874

Note on dates
Unless otherwise stated, dates given do not indicate the years in which the business started or finished but those for which there is firm evidence that it was trading at this address. Sources in brackets; key at bottom of page.


No 2 is the left-most white house. The pink house is No 42 High Street and beyond that, No 40a High Street 'Craftco' both of which were parts of the original wheelwright/ smithy business..

View down Victoria Street from the High Street in approximately 1916. The Blowers smithy on the left is actually 40-42 High Street. No 2 Victoria Street is adjacent (with the small group of men standing in the doorway). The cottages on the right are Nos 1,3 and 5 Victoria Street demolished in the 1930s when the road junction was widened. (Southwold Museum P235)
Click the picture to enlarge

Below: the name sign as it appears today.

The Jack o'Lantern Coffee Shop in 1950s

The Jack 0' Lantern Coffee bar in the 1950s from a hand-coloured postcard in the Robert Palmer collection kindly loaned by Margaret Palmer.

Click the picture to see the whole street scene