Explore our dynamic panoramas




No 2b Trinity Street
   
 



1908
John King - Grocer (K1908). John King has, until now, also occupied the smaller, attached premises at No 4, which he has run as a fish shop. This year he divests himself of the fish business to James Denny & Son.

Note: No 4 is now demolished, enabling the opening up of Trinity Close.

 

John King - Grocer and fish monger

 

1924
John King - Grocer (K1924) Closes this year.

1924
Aaron Field - Antique Dealer. Previously Aaron Field was trading at Nos 57 and 59 High Street. Frank Field (his son?) is also an Antiques Dealer and is trading next door at No 2a..
~

 

1933
Frank Field - Antique Dealer (K1933)

1945
Frank Field - Antique Dealer (Source). Mrs Field takes over the business this year (Source)

 

Date
Mrs Field - Antiques business closes (Source)

 

 

Private residence

 
Private residence
 

Private residence

 
 

Private residence

   

Do you have any memories or records about this address? Can you correct any of our information or fill in any of our blanks? If so, please email Barry Tolfree
or comment right here in our Forum. See below. ***

SOURCES:
BSD - Bernard Segrave-Daly
BCS = Bygones & Characters of Southwold by Barrett Jenkins
C = Census
CP = Cinema Programme 1958
CSP = Coronation Souvenir Programme 1953
G = Gales Trade Directory
GRO = General Register Office
K = Kelly's Directory
LM = Local memory
M = James Maggs' Southwold Diary 1818-1876
MCG = Methodist Church Guide 1930
NA = National Archives
PP = Pantomime Programme 1933
PLR = Petrol Licence Records

POD = Post Office Directory
PPP = Pier Pavilion Programme 1924, 1926
RCE = Rotary Club Exhibition 1969
SCM = Southwold Catholic Magazine 1923
SCTG = Southwold Corporation Tourist Guide
SER = Southwold Electoral Register
SFP = Southwold Scouts Fete Programme 1947
SG = Southwold Guide
SGCH = Southwold Golf Club Handbook
SLHR = Southwold Local History Recorder 1980s 1990s (Mrs R. McDermot)
SMHS = Southwold Museum & Historical Society

SN = Southwold & Neighbourhood 1903
SPM = Southwold Parish Magazine 1895 -1954
SR = Southwold Recorder 1927, 1932, 1934, 1935
SRB = Southwold Rate Book
SRT = Southwold Railway Timetable 1915
SSAS = Southwold Sea Angling Society Handbook 1909
SST = Southwold Summer Theatre Programmes
SSW = Southwold Shopping Week Programme, June/July 1922
STG = Southwold Town Guide 1930
SVL = Southwold Visitors List 1907, 1930
SVCP = Southwold Victory Celebration Programme 1946
SWCG = Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide

TTR = 'The Town Revisited' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 2000
TTT = ''To The Town' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 1988
W = White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Suffolk 1874

 
Note on dates
Unless otherwise stated, dates given do not indicate the years in which the business started or finished but those for which there is firm evidence that it was trading at this address. Sources in brackets; key at bottom of page.


Pre-1908. No 2b is the left-hand part of the John King store. The smaller annexe (No 4) on the right is dedicated to fish. No 4 was demolished in the 1950s, increasing the width of the entrance to what is now Trinity Close
Photo reproduced from a bill head kindly supplied by Mr David Lee.
Click the picture to see the whole bill head..

Frank Field's antique shop in 1935.
Southwold Museum P2949
Click picture to enlarge