Note: There is some confusion about when No 58, and indeed this whole terrace was built. Our correspondent, (see forum below) asserts that it was constructed in 1919. However, both the 1901 and 1911 censuses record families living and trading at this address. Moreover a photograph in the Southwold Museum archive taken from the top of the lighthouse and dated on the negative 1893, shows this terrace already in situ although there is some question as to whether this particular property was part of the terrace at that date. We would appreciate any further information.
1901 Charles Andrews - Grocer & Sub-postmaster. Charles (23) is the eldest son of Josiah (60) who is recorded in the 1901 Census as head of the household and married to Ann. Josiah and Ann have another son, Reginald and a daughter, Frances. (C)
1908 Arthur Wright - trading as Wright & Sons - Fruiterers (K1908). The 1911 census records Arhur Edward Wright, 62, working as a Guard on Southwold Railway and married to Elizabeth. His 30-year-old married son, Percy and his wife, Florence also live here and Percy is recorded as a Fuiterer's Assistant. The assumption is that Arthur owns the premises and the business and Percy effectively runs the shop.
1916 William Oakley - Fruiterer and Greengrocer
Oakley - Fruiterer and Greengrocer
1937 William Oakley - Fruiterer and Greengrocer
1939 Margaret Oakley - widow of William, continues to run the business.
purchases the premises for £600 with a mortgage from Margaret Oakley and runs the shop as a Fruiterer and Greengrocer, confectioner and tobacconist.
Mr & Mrs V G Hughes from Lowestoft purchase the premises for £1,525.
1956 Wilfred Lord, a Halesworth butcher, purchases the property for £2,750
1959 Kenneth (Kenny) Barbrook - Grocer, purchases the property from Wilfred Lord for just £2,600
(RCE1959 and Peter Lee)
1968 Ronald King - a grocer from Ipswich, buys the shop from Kenneth Barbrook for £5,750. Kenneth moves to Reydon to take over Barbrooks store which was later taken over and run by his son until 2016.
1972 Herbert and Renee Rowley - Grocers and general store. The Rowleys purchase the building and the business for £7,050.
1979 Herbert and Renee Rowley close the business because of Herbert's ill health and sell the building for £25,000 for conversion to residential use.
With thanks to Peter Lee for providing a wealth of information about the history and ownership of this property.
Do you have any memories or records about this address? Can you correct
any of our information or fill in any of our blanks? If so, please email
or comment right here in our Forum. See below.
SOURCES: BSD - Bernard Segrave-Daly
BCS = Bygones & Characters of Southwold by Barrett Jenkins
C = Census
CP = Cinema Programme 1958
CSP = Coronation Souvenir Programme 1953
G = Gales Trade Directory
GRO = General Register Office
K = Kelly's Directory
LM = Local memory
M = James Maggs' Southwold Diary 1818-1876
MCG = Methodist Church Guide 1930
NA = National Archives
PP = Pantomime Programme 1933
PLR = Petrol Licence Records
POD = Post Office Directory
PPP = Pier Pavilion Programme 1924, 1926
RCE = Rotary Club Exhibition 1969
SCM = Southwold Catholic Magazine 1923
SCTG = Southwold Corporation Tourist Guide
SER = Southwold Electoral Register
SFP = Southwold Scouts Fete Programme 1947
SG = Southwold Guide
SGCH = Southwold Golf Club Handbook
SLHR = Southwold Local History Recorder 1980s 1990s (Mrs R. McDermot)
SMHS = Southwold Museum & Historical Society
SN = Southwold & Neighbourhood 1903
SPM = Southwold Parish Magazine 1895 -1954
SR = Southwold Recorder 1927, 1932, 1934, 1935
SRB = Southwold Rate Book
SRT = Southwold Railway Timetable 1915
SSAS = Southwold Sea Angling Society Handbook 1909
SST = Southwold Summer Theatre Programmes
SSW = Southwold Shopping Week Programme, June/July 1922
STG = Southwold Town Guide 1930
SVL = Southwold Visitors List 1907, 1930
SVCP = Southwold Victory Celebration Programme 1946
SWCG = Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide
TTR = 'The Town Revisited' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden
TTT = ''To The Town' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 1988
W = White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Suffolk 1874
on dates Unless
otherwise stated, dates given do not indicate the years in which the business
started or finished but those for which there is firm evidence that
it was trading at this address. Sources in brackets; key at bottom of page.
Pen and wash drawing of the shop in the early 1950s when Mr & Mrs Hughes ran it.
Reproduced courtesy of Mr & Mrs Lee.
Click the image to enlarge
Photos taken from the top of the lighthouse looking North and showing this terrace in (top) present day and (bottom) 1893. The entrance to Salisbury Road is on the left. The house at the near end of the terrace appears to be purely residential in 1893 and it may be that No 58 was built on at a later date. Certainly Salisbury Road looks wider in the old photo and there appear to be fewer houses in the terrace than there are now.
Photos courtesy of Tom Bright 2014 and
Southwold Museum P2794