Explore our dynamic panoramas




No 12 Stradbroke Road - Douglas House
 

The ground floor is today designated no 12 while 12b refers to a duplex apartment occupying the right hand upper floors (as seen from the street) and 12c a similar apartment on the left. Behind Douglas House is a self- contained residential annexe numbered 12a.

1896
Robert George Newson - Baker, Pastry Cook and Confectioner. (K1896)


1903 (approx)
Robert George Newson - Baker, Pastry Cook and Confectioner.
This year he leaves Stradbroke Road and moves his business to No 43 Marlborough Road (then known as Corporation Road). Robert claims not to be related to other bakers in the town with the same surname. (SN1903)

1908
John Chapman - Library & Fancy Repository, Newsagent, Stationer, Tobacconist. (K1908). This is a branch of the shop at No 79 High Street. Note: John Chapman gives his address as 12a so presumably occupies only part of Douglas House.

 
1916
Emma Irene Faull - Stationer (K1916) and lending library.
 
Emma Irene Faull - Stationer and lending library.
 

1937
Emma Irene Faull - Stationer (K1937, SRB1939) and lending library.

1944
Emma Irene Faull - Stationer (SRB1944) Closes this year.

1945
Mrs Gillings - Wool and Haberdashery (SRB1945, 1948, 1949) and lending library


 

1950
Mrs Gillings - Wool and Haberdashery (SRB1950) and lending library. Mrs Gillings sells the business this year to Miss Joan Priday.

1950
Miss Joan Priday - Becomes proprietor of Douglas House Wool Shop this year. Ladies' and Chldren's Wear and Haberdashery, lending library. (SRB1951, Southwold Pier Commemorative Plaques.)


1962
Miss Joan Priday - Douglas House Wool Shop. Ladies' and Chldren's Wear and Haberdashery and lending library. The business closes this year. (Southwold Pier Commemorative Plaques)

Joan Priday's adopted daughter, Maggie Mayne (nee Priday) relates her memories of
her girlhood at Douglas House. Click here to read.

 

 

 
 
 

 

 
 

 

   

Do you have any memories or records about this address? Can you correct any of our information or fill in any of our blanks? If so, please email Barry Tolfree
or comment right here in our Forum. See below. ***

SOURCES:
BSD - Bernard Segrave-Daly
BCS = Bygones & Characters of Southwold by Barrett Jenkins
C = Census
CP = Cinema Programme 1958
CSP = Coronation Souvenir Programme 1953
G = Gales Trade Directory
GRO = General Register Office
K = Kelly's Directory
LM = Local memory
M = James Maggs' Southwold Diary 1818-1876
MCG = Methodist Church Guide 1930
NA = National Archives
PP = Pantomime Programme 1933
PLR = Petrol Licence Records

POD = Post Office Directory
PPP = Pier Pavilion Programme 1924, 1926
RCE = Rotary Club Exhibition 1969
SCM = Southwold Catholic Magazine 1923
SCTG = Southwold Corporation Tourist Guide
SER = Southwold Electoral Register
SFP = Southwold Scouts Fete Programme 1947
SG = Southwold Guide
SGCH = Southwold Golf Club Handbook
SLHR = Southwold Local History Recorder 1980s 1990s (Mrs R. McDermot)
SMHS = Southwold Museum & Historical Society

SN = Southwold & Neighbourhood 1903
SPM = Southwold Parish Magazine 1895 -1954
SR = Southwold Recorder 1927, 1932, 1934, 1935
SRB = Southwold Rate Book
SRT = Southwold Railway Timetable 1915
SSAS = Southwold Sea Angling Society Handbook 1909
SST = Southwold Summer Theatre Programmes
SSW = Southwold Shopping Week Programme, June/July 1922
STG = Southwold Town Guide 1930
SVL = Southwold Visitors List 1907, 1930
SVCP = Southwold Victory Celebration Programme 1946
SWCG = Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide

TTR = 'The Town Revisited' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 2000
TTT = ''To The Town' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 1988
W = White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Suffolk 1874

 
Note on dates
Unless otherwise stated, dates given do not indicate the years in which the business started or finished but those for which there is firm evidence that it was trading at this address. Sources in brackets; key at bottom of page.


A 1907 advertisement for John Chapman. 12a clearly referred to a ground-floor street-facing unit, not, as today, the rear annexe.