Explore our dynamic panoramas




 
No 33 and 33a Station Road (Prospect Place)
     
 

Prospect Place was built in 1878 and is a substantial double-fronted house which. for most of its life was divided into two units with two front doors side by side. No 33 (on the right) was residential and No 33a on the left was a shop. The shop window has since been converted to form a domestic window identical to that on the right hand side. During the 1950s the freehold of the entire building was owned by the building Company Taylor & Sage of No 1a Park Lane.


1908
Misses M A & W J Lay - Grocers (K1908) occupy No 33a

 
1916
Edward Palmer Reeve - Grocer (K1916) occupies 33a
 

1924
Edward Palmer Reeve - Grocer (K1924) occupies 33a. Mr Reeve also advertises that he is agent for Camplings Ltd, dry cleaners. (See visitor comment below.)


 

1933
Edward Palmer Reeve - Grocer
(K1924) occupies 33a.

1941
The grocer's shop has now closed and stands empty. 33a is rented by Mrs May G May whose home in Barnaby Green has been bombed. Mrs May takes in war personnel lodgers to help with rental costs. Two years later she moves her family next door to No 33

Mid 1940s
Mrs Barker - Wet fish shop, occupies 33a (LM) (Dates and full name required)

1948
Paddy Pile - 'Paddy's, Fish Merchant. In addition to the wet fish shop, Paddy Pile and his wife operate a mobile fish and chip shop. The Piles also live at this address.(LM)


 

1953
Paddy Pile - 'Paddy's, Fish Merchant (CSP) The mobile unit is still trading in 1959 although the shop is now closed. (LM)

1956/1957
Mrs May G May - open a small home bakery and cake shop in the front room of No 33. She and her family have lived in rented accommodation at Prospect House since 1941, initially occupying 33a. (Source: Gary May)

1959
Mrs May G May - moves her home and busiess to larger premises at No 12 Queen Street where she will start a restaurant as well as continuing her thriving baking business.

We are grateful to Mrs May's son Gary May for information and photographs of the family's time at No 33. To read his account, click here.


 

 

 

 
 
 

 

 
 

 

   

Do you have any memories or records about this address? Can you correct any of our information or fill in any of our blanks? If so, please email Barry Tolfree
or comment right here in our Forum. See below. ***

SOURCES:
BSD - Bernard Segrave-Daly
BCS = Bygones & Characters of Southwold by Barrett Jenkins
C = Census
CP = Cinema Programme 1958
CSP = Coronation Souvenir Programme 1953
G = Gales Trade Directory
GRO = General Register Office
K = Kelly's Directory
LM = Local memory
M = James Maggs' Southwold Diary 1818-1876
MCG = Methodist Church Guide 1930
NA = National Archives
PP = Pantomime Programme 1933
PLR = Petrol Licence Records

POD = Post Office Directory
PPP = Pier Pavilion Programme 1924, 1926
RCE = Rotary Club Exhibition 1969
SCM = Southwold Catholic Magazine 1923
SCTG = Southwold Corporation Tourist Guide
SER = Southwold Electoral Register
SFP = Southwold Scouts Fete Programme 1947
SG = Southwold Guide
SGCH = Southwold Golf Club Handbook
SLHR = Southwold Local History Recorder 1980s 1990s (Mrs R. McDermot)
SMHS = Southwold Museum & Historical Society

SN = Southwold & Neighbourhood 1903
SPM = Southwold Parish Magazine 1895 -1954
SR = Southwold Recorder 1927, 1932, 1934, 1935
SRB = Southwold Rate Book
SRT = Southwold Railway Timetable 1915
SSAS = Southwold Sea Angling Society Handbook 1909
SST = Southwold Summer Theatre Programmes
SSW = Southwold Shopping Week Programme, June/July 1922
STG = Southwold Town Guide 1930
SVL = Southwold Visitors List 1907, 1930
SVCP = Southwold Victory Celebration Programme 1946
SWCG = Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide

TTR = 'The Town Revisited' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 2000
TTT = ''To The Town' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 1988
W = White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Suffolk 1874

 
Note on dates
Unless otherwise stated, dates given do not indicate the years in which the business started or finished but those for which there is firm evidence that it was trading at this address. Sources in brackets; key at bottom of page.




No 33a is the left-hand half of the building


Date Stone - Prospect Place

Station Road today with no 33 in foreground
Station Road today...

Station Road 1930s

...and the same view in the 1930s. EP Reeve's grocery shop - No 33a - is on the left of the picture. The library building is on the right

Thank you to librarian Charlotte Clark, for the picture.

Click image for an enlargement and closeup.


Mr & Mrs May with their eldest son during a home leave in 1943. Photo is at the rear of No 33. The upstairs window at top left, showing anti-blast tape is at No 31, the home of the Farrington family.

Photo courtesy of Gary May

Click picture for more photos and memories of the May family in the 1940s and 50s