freeholds of Nos 3 to 9 Station Road are owned by
Southwold Town Council. Like its other property in
the town, this is a legacy from the original William
Godell bequest. In the early 2000s, the Town Council
comprehensively refurbished these properties to provide
a mix of residential apartments and shops. The parade
was formally named 'Hurren Terrace' to commemorate
a former Town Mayor, Jo Hurren.
At the centre of Hurren Terrace is an archway accessing
a collection of industrial buildings and sheds, also
Town property, which includes Southwold Town Garage.
William Button - Twine spinner. Living here with his wife, Susannah and 4-year-old son Thomas (C1881). It is not known whether this address is also William's workplace. Certainly the rope walk runs immediately behind the premises. William and his family will have moved to No 13 High Street by the time of the next census in 1901. To read more about the Button family and the rope making industry in Southwold, click here.
Note: It is conceivable that No 13 High Street and No 3 Station Road refer to the same property. Between the opening of the railway in 1879 and the early 1900s, the part of the High Street between the Station and Victoria Street was named 'Station Road' . By 1904 Station Road had been shortened to exclude the stretch between Victoria Street and Field Stile Road, which became part of the HighStreet again.