The Southwold Golf and Quoits Club is founded this year with the permission of the Southwold Corporation, and a nine-hole course is
opened in August. A temporary clubhouse is built near the watertower. This is only the second golf club to be founded in Suffolk, the first being at Felixstowe, (The members appear to have abandoned quoits early on in the club's history.)
The annual subscription for members is 5/- in addition to which there is an entry fee also of 5/-
The first permanent clubhouse is built.
The course is extended to 18 holes after consultation with the renowned Scottish professional golfer and golf-course architect, James Braid. The expanded course necessitates players crossing the Southwold-to-Halesworth Railway line via a new footbridge.
The 1902 tourist guide 'Southwold & Neighbourhood' lists several local landowners and dignatories among the club's committee members. They include The Earl of Stradbroke (President), Sir Ralph Blois, Bart (Vice President), Sir Thomas Gooch, Bart, and HR Edwards, JP. The Secretary is Barclay's Bank Agent, Edgar Pipe who will be elected Mayor of Southwold four times over the succeeding years.
There are two other noteworthy people associated with the club at this time. One is Walter J Hanner, a chemist trading at No 15 Market Place. Recently Hanner has been given the use of a newly built toolshed and workshop at the Golf Club where he fabricates hand-made clubs and balls and carries out repairs on members' clubs. The other is Caddy Master and, later, Golf Professional, Charlie Elmes who has worked for Walter Hanner. To read an account of Charlie Elmes' contribution to the club, written by his grandson, Jim Elmes, click here.
.1914 - 18
The club is reduced to 9 holes and, in 1916, closed altogether to allow the land to be used for grazing during the Great War.
The club reopens its 18-hole
The club suffers serious financial problems during the Depression.
In the January floods along the East Coast, the lower lying holes on Woodsend and Buss Creek marshes are submerged - in some cases beneath ten feet of water. It proves impracticable to save those parts of the course and it reverts to nine-holes, though on a different layout from the 1884 original.
We are grateful for the permission of Club Secretary, Roger Sweet, to use material from the Club's website for this page.
Do you have any memories or records about this address? Can you correct
any of our information or fill in any of our blanks? If so, please email
or comment right here in our Forum. See below.
SOURCES: BSD - Bernard Segrave-Daly
BCS = Bygones & Characters of Southwold by Barrett Jenkins
C = Census
CP = Cinema Programme 1958
CSP = Coronation Souvenir Programme 1953
G = Gales Trade Directory
GRO = General Register Office
K = Kelly's Directory
LM = Local memory
M = James Maggs' Southwold Diary 1818-1876
MCG = Methodist Church Guide 1930
NA = National Archives
PP = Pantomime Programme 1933
PLR = Petrol Licence Records
POD = Post Office Directory
PPP = Pier Pavilion Programme 1924, 1926
RCE = Rotary Club Exhibition 1969
SCM = Southwold Catholic Magazine 1923
SCTG = Southwold Corporation Tourist Guide
SER = Southwold Electoral Register
SFP = Southwold Scouts Fete Programme 1947
SG = Southwold Guide
SGCH = Southwold Golf Club Handbook
SLHR = Southwold Local History Recorder 1980s 1990s (Mrs R. McDermot)
SMHS = Southwold Museum & Historical Society
SN = Southwold & Neighbourhood 1903
SPM = Southwold Parish Magazine 1895 -1954
SR = Southwold Recorder 1927, 1932, 1934, 1935
SRB = Southwold Rate Book
SRT = Southwold Railway Timetable 1915
SSAS = Southwold Sea Angling Society Handbook 1909
SST = Southwold Summer Theatre Programmes
SSW = Southwold Shopping Week Programme, June/July 1922
STG = Southwold Town Guide 1930
SVL = Southwold Visitors List 1907, 1930
SVCP = Southwold Victory Celebration Programme 1946
SWCG = Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide
TTR = 'The Town Revisited' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden
TTT = ''To The Town' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 1988
W = White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Suffolk 1874
on dates Unless
otherwise stated, dates given do not indicate the years in which the business
started or finished but those for which there is firm evidence that
it was trading at this address. Sources in brackets; key at bottom of page.
The club house in the early 1900s when the course had 18 holes.
Photo by Frederick Jenkins reproduced from a 1905 Tourist Guide kindly supplied by Prof John Hadgraft.