Explore our dynamic panoramas




Regency House, No 1 South Green
 
 

1815,
Part of this site is granted by Southwold Corporation to a sail maker, Philip Child who builds a sail loft on it. Previously Child was renting space in the old Guidhall on Bartholomew Green. which is about to be demolished. An adjacent parcel of land is occupied by a tailor's shop known as Julians and another by a butcher's shop calld Roots

1828
Reverend Henry Uhtoff (70-year-old rector of Huntingfield & Cookley) has acquired the tailor's shop together with a further parcel of land in front of the shop, purchased from Southwold Corporation for £25. He sets about having a substantial house built here which he calls 'South Green House'. It is completed in about 1839.

1841
Reverend Henry Uhtoff purchases the sail loft from the widow of Philip Child for £35 and converts it into a cottage adjacent to South Green House. Although now in his 80s, Uhtoff continues as a clergyman, dividing his time between Southwold and his substantial rectory in Huntingfield where he is recorded in the 1841 census living with his wife, Mary, daughter Frances and eight servants. He also owns another property - a stable and coach house - in Park Lane.

1848
Reverend Henry Uhtoff dies this year. His daughter, Frances, continues to live here until 1865.

1867
John Eustace Grubbe - purchases the house. He becomes Mayor of Southwold this year for the first time. He will be the Corporation's longest-serving mayor whose tenures will add up to 20 years.

1873
? Gaussen - buys South Green House for £1,600. He has the third floor added.

1897
Letitia Maria Gaussen - now widowed, sells South Green House to...

...Joseph John Mayhew for £2,500. It becomes a hotel named "Golf Links House". This is probably a lease arrangement. Joseph himself is the local agent of the Lacons, Youell & Kemp Bank at No 17 Market Place and is also Mayor of Southwold. The hotel venture lasts barely a year, however, and J J Mayhew seeks a new tenant...

1898
Saint Felix Girls' School - rents the building for use as classrooms and dormitories. It is one of several Southwold buildings used by the school at this time.


1902
Saint Felix vacate the premises and the house is renamed 'Greyfriars'. This may have been loosely inspired by the former name of the adjacent Park Lane, 'Black Friars' Lane'.

1903
Richard Paddison MA - takes a lease on Greyfriars and runs it as a boarding school 'to prepare boys for the public schools and the navy' (SN). An Oxford graduate who rowed as stroke for Balliol College, he afterwards became a Barrister and then headmaster of a home-counties preparatory school. After considerable success, we learn that he resigned because of family illness and moved to Southwold specifically because of its reputation as a health resort. Richard, his wife Jane and their seven children and three servants moved first into No 26 North Parade (C1901) where Richard described himself once again as a barrister and a year later set up his boys school. We do not know whether he called his school 'Greyfriars'; It is described in 'Southwold & Neighborhood' as simply 'A notable educational home'. It does not seem to have survived in this form for many years (Reputedly, Patterson was considered too much of a disciplinarian); by 1911, the Census records Richard as Assistant Master at Blundells School in Tiverton, Devon. Meanwhile his family has expanded to 10 children.


 
1910
Walter Heape - and his family (residential)
 

1926
Lenny Septimus Harrisson - Solicitor and commissioner for oaths, rents a part of the building as his home, paying £75 pa. His office is at No 1 Market Place where he also conducts his business as the Secretary of the Southwold Water Works, the Secretary of the Town Farm Syndicate, Clerk to the Borough Magistrates and Solicitor to the Southwold Borough Council. (K1924)

To read a recollection of Septimus Harrisson by the late J B Harris, click here. Reproduced from an unpublished memoir entitled "Memories of Southwold 1920-1939" by kind permission of his widow, Mary Harris.


 

1932
Joseph John Mayhew dies on 14 February. His wife inherits the freehold of the house but dies only nine days after him.


c1940
The house is requisitioned by the Army.

 

1950
Edward James Goddard and Theodore Abner Goddard purchase the freehold and split the property into three residences which are then sold separately. The two wings are named 'North' and 'South Greyfriars' and the central portion 'Regency House'. For more about the Goddard family's extensive business interests in the town, see Nos 60 - 62 High Street, 63 High Street, 44 Church Street and 4 Victoria Street..

Note: Most of the above is taken from research conducted by Mike Medland, a recent owner of Regency House. This and other documents relating to the history of the building, including title deeds, have been donated by Mr Medland to Southwold Museum. To read his summary of the history of the building, click here.



 

 

 
 
 

 

 
 


   

Do you have any memories or records about this address? Can you correct any of our information or fill in any of our blanks? If so, please email Barry Tolfree
or comment right here in our Forum. See below. ***

SOURCES:
BSD - Bernard Segrave-Daly
BCS = Bygones & Characters of Southwold by Barrett Jenkins
C = Census
CP = Cinema Programme 1958
CSP = Coronation Souvenir Programme 1953
G = Gales Trade Directory
GRO = General Register Office
K = Kelly's Directory
LM = Local memory
M = James Maggs' Southwold Diary 1818-1876
MCG = Methodist Church Guide 1930
NA = National Archives
PP = Pantomime Programme 1933
PLR = Petrol Licence Records

POD = Post Office Directory
PPP = Pier Pavilion Programme 1924, 1926
RCE = Rotary Club Exhibition 1969
SCM = Southwold Catholic Magazine 1923
SCTG = Southwold Corporation Tourist Guide
SER = Southwold Electoral Register
SFP = Southwold Scouts Fete Programme 1947
SG = Southwold Guide
SGCH = Southwold Golf Club Handbook
SLHR = Southwold Local History Recorder 1980s 1990s (Mrs R. McDermot)
SMHS = Southwold Museum & Historical Society

SN = Southwold & Neighbourhood 1903
SPM = Southwold Parish Magazine 1895 -1954
SR = Southwold Recorder 1927, 1932, 1934, 1935
SRB = Southwold Rate Book
SRT = Southwold Railway Timetable 1915
SSAS = Southwold Sea Angling Society Handbook 1909
SST = Southwold Summer Theatre Programmes
SSW = Southwold Shopping Week Programme, June/July 1922
STG = Southwold Town Guide 1930
SVL = Southwold Visitors List 1907, 1930
SVCP = Southwold Victory Celebration Programme 1946
SWCG = Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide

TTR = 'The Town Revisited' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 2000
TTT = ''To The Town' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 1988
W = White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Suffolk 1874

 
Note on dates
Unless otherwise stated, dates given do not indicate the years in which the business started or finished but those for which there is firm evidence that it was trading at this address. Sources in brackets; key at bottom of page.


Regency House is the three-storey centre section of the building.





The interior of Regency House when it was a small school for boys in about 1903

Source 'Southwold & Neighbourhood'
Click any picture for enlargements