in the early 1600s but given a new Georgian facade in
the late 1700s, this Grade 2 Listed house, together
with its partner No
1 next door, originally constituted a single residence
- The Elms. In the 1860s it was the home of Mrs M Rayley,
widow of Capt C Rayley. Mrs Rayley was a noted benefactor
of the community. Among many other good works she founded
the Sailors' Reading Room in memory of her husband.
The Elms was divided into two in 1925.