Joseph Arthy (Sometimes 'Arthey')- Chemist and druggist. Joseph married Mary Ann Perfect in 1825.
Note: The Perfect family are basketmakers, mat makers, cane workers and twine spinners. A Joseph and Elizabeth Perfect and their 10 year old daughter, Susanna, are recorded in the 1851 census as living next door to the Arthys in Pinkney's Lane. See also William Perfect who was working as a mat and cane worker in Church Green/ Cumberland Road in 1874.
Joseph was a well-known local philanthropist whose memorial plaque in St Edmund's Church asserts "He went about doing good" and describes him as "the best and kindest friend of the poor of this parish". The son of Southwold diarist, James Maggs, served an apprenticeship with Joseph Arthy before moving to London. (M)
(Forename) Fuller - Druggist, takes over Joseph Arthy's business following the latter's death this year.(M)
Walter James Hanner - Chemist (M). By the 1870s, Walter Hanner moves his business to No 15 Market Place.