Explore our dynamic panoramas

No 9 Pinkney's Lane


At various times, this little pitched roof cottage, its rear lean-to extension and the relatively new flat-roofed side extension have accommodated up to three small businesses at a time. It was only in the 2000s that it became a single business. The building has been owned by the Field family since it was built by CN Field in the 1950s. The current owner is Rosalind Field.






Charles Nelson Field - 'C N Field & Son' builders are thought to occupy this cottage building as their office. Their workshop is next door at No 11.

Adrian Field - Estate agency. Adrian is the son of Charles Nelson Field who built the single-storey extension for him some time during this decade. Adrian occupies the front part of the extension.(LM)

Podd - Veterinary practice. This occupies the rear part of the single-storey extension.

Mr Heath
- Jeweller/watchmaker. Occupies the left-hand cottage section. (name?)




Antiques (name?)

Tim Reeson - Pasta & Delicatessen. This short-lived business occupies the single storey extension. (LM) (Business name?)

Charity Shop (Sue Ryder?) This, too, is a short-lived business (LM)


Simon Moore
& Tristan Bray - 'Blyth Bugle' - Free local news magazine. This occupies the single-storey side extension. Later moves to an office at No 59 High Street. ( Dates?)

Fromus - Veterinary Surgeons occupy the rear extension. (LM)

Richard Hamburger - 'The Drunken Boat' - Secondhand books. (Source: Chapel Books website) This business occupies the ground floor of the cottage and the single-storey side extension.


Bob Jackson - takes over the shop and renames it 'Pinkney's Lane Bookshop'. Bob also runs Chapel Books at his home in Westleton. (Source: Chapel Books website)

Fromus Veterinary Surgeons move out of the rear extension into larger premises at No 38 High Street and Bob Jackson expands his business into the area they had occupied.

Marion Vandome - takes over the shop from Bob Jackson and renames it 'Southwold Books'.

This year, Fromus, veterinary surgery moves to larger premises at No 38 High Street.

C A Galliani - trading as 'Oscar & Rose' children's clothing. The business has moved here from Beccles.

Oscar & Rose move to No 3 Market Place in May this year. Premises remain closed for next four months.

Philip J Anthony & Marion E Anthony - 'Heritage Hideaways' holiday cottage letting agency open here in October. They were previously based in Wangford.


Do you have any memories or records about this address? Can you correct any of our information or fill in any of our blanks? If so, please email Barry Tolfree
Our forum facility has been withdrawn by the provider. Sorry for the inconvenience. We are looking for an alternative.

BSD - Bernard Segrave-Daly
BCS = Bygones & Characters of Southwold by Barrett Jenkins
C = Census
CP = Cinema Programme 1958
CSP = Coronation Souvenir Programme 1953
G = Gales Trade Directory
GRO = General Register Office
K = Kelly's Directory
LM = Local memory
M = James Maggs' Southwold Diary 1818-1876
MCG = Methodist Church Guide 1930
NA = National Archives
PP = Pantomime Programme 1933
PLR = Petrol Licence Records

POD = Post Office Directory
PPP = Pier Pavilion Programme 1924, 1926
RCE = Rotary Club Exhibition 1969
SCM = Southwold Catholic Magazine 1923
SCTG = Southwold Corporation Tourist Guide
SER = Southwold Electoral Register
SFP = Southwold Scouts Fete Programme 1947
SG = Southwold Guide
SGCH = Southwold Golf Club Handbook
SLHR = Southwold Local History Recorder 1980s 1990s (Mrs R. McDermot)
SMHS = Southwold Museum & Historical Society

SN = Southwold & Neighbourhood 1903
SPM = Southwold Parish Magazine 1895 -1954
SR = Southwold Recorder 1927, 1932, 1934, 1935
SRB = Southwold Rate Book
SRT = Southwold Railway Timetable 1915
SSAS = Southwold Sea Angling Society Handbook 1909
SST = Southwold Summer Theatre Programmes
SSW = Southwold Shopping Week Programme, June/July 1922
STG = Southwold Town Guide 1930
SVL = Southwold Visitors List 1907, 1930
SVCP = Southwold Victory Celebration Programme 1946
SWCG = Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide

TTR = 'The Town Revisited' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 2000
TTT = ''To The Town' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 1988
W = White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Suffolk 1874

Note on dates
Unless otherwise stated, dates given do not indicate the years in which the business started or finished but those for which there is firm evidence that it was trading at this address. Sources in brackets; key at bottom of page.

Mr Heath, jeweller and watchmaker. Reproduced from 'To the Town' (second edition) by kind permission of Stephen Wolfenden

Click the picture to enlarge

As a second-hand bookshop 'The Drunken Boat', in 1996

Photo courtesy of David Weight