Explore our dynamic panoramas




 
No 14 North Parade - 'The Mount'
 
     
 

'The Mount' was built in 1865



 



 

c1912
Dr Dudley Willis Collings, WMB (London), MRCS (England)(K1924)

Note: Dr Collings was a physician and surgeon. The UK Medical Register records him living in Ascot in 1911. He evidently purchased 'The Mount' soon after this. He became the town's Medical Officer of Health during the First World War, practising from rooms at No 3 Queen Street, and later moving his surgery to his home (K1925). In 1933, he became the founder and first curator of Southwold Museum. He was married to Theresa (nee Bond). Their son, Hubert Dennis Collings became assistant curator of the Raffles Museum in Singapore and a well-respected traveller, archaeologist and an eccentric and eclectic collector of artefacts. In his youth Dennis became a good friend of Eric Blair, better known as 'George Orwell'. The friendship endured despite the fact that, in the 1920s, Eric had a now well documented, passionate love affair with Eleanor Jaques who was later to become Dennis's wife.


 

1933
Dr D W Collings (K1933)

1937
Dr D W Collings & Dr Mills
(K1937)


c1940
Dr Mills joins the armed services. Dr Collings, now in his 70s, is virtually retired. When Dr Mills returns after the war he finds the practice seriously depleted and there develops some ill feeling between him and the practice at No 47 High Street - Wymering House.


 

1958
Dr Collings died in 1955 and Dr Mills who is approaching retirement, appoints, as his replacement, Dr Christopher Hopkins who sets up his practice next door at No 15 North Parade.


1966
Raymond & Daphne Duffield- 'The Mount' guesthouse (See comments in Forum below)


 

Raymond & Daphne Duffield - 'The Mount' guesthouse

 
c 1983
Raymond & Daphne Duffield- 'The Mount' guesthouse is sold.
 

 

 
 

 

   

Do you have any memories or records about this address? Can you correct any of our information or fill in any of our blanks? If so, please email Barry Tolfree
or comment right here in our Forum. See below. ***

SOURCES:
BSD - Bernard Segrave-Daly
BCS = Bygones & Characters of Southwold by Barrett Jenkins
C = Census
CP = Cinema Programme 1958
CSP = Coronation Souvenir Programme 1953
G = Gales Trade Directory
GRO = General Register Office
K = Kelly's Directory
LM = Local memory
M = James Maggs' Southwold Diary 1818-1876
MCG = Methodist Church Guide 1930
NA = National Archives
PP = Pantomime Programme 1933
PLR = Petrol Licence Records

POD = Post Office Directory
PPP = Pier Pavilion Programme 1924, 1926
RCE = Rotary Club Exhibition 1969
SCM = Southwold Catholic Magazine 1923
SCTG = Southwold Corporation Tourist Guide
SER = Southwold Electoral Register
SFP = Southwold Scouts Fete Programme 1947
SG = Southwold Guide
SGCH = Southwold Golf Club Handbook
SLHR = Southwold Local History Recorder 1980s 1990s (Mrs R. McDermot)
SMHS = Southwold Museum & Historical Society

SN = Southwold & Neighbourhood 1903
SPM = Southwold Parish Magazine 1895 -1954
SR = Southwold Recorder 1927, 1932, 1934, 1935
SRB = Southwold Rate Book
SRT = Southwold Railway Timetable 1915
SSAS = Southwold Sea Angling Society Handbook 1909
SST = Southwold Summer Theatre Programmes
SSW = Southwold Shopping Week Programme, June/July 1922
STG = Southwold Town Guide 1930
SVL = Southwold Visitors List 1907, 1930
SVCP = Southwold Victory Celebration Programme 1946
SWCG = Southwold Wesleyan Church Guide

TTR = 'The Town Revisited' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 2000
TTT = ''To The Town' - Portraits of Southwold by Stephen Wolfenden 1988
W = White’s History, Gazetteer and Directory of Suffolk 1874

 
Note on dates
Unless otherwise stated, dates given do not indicate the years in which the business started or finished but those for which there is firm evidence that it was trading at this address. Sources in brackets; key at bottom of page.